cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Ernies right!

If Republicans are so worried about deficits, why don't they come to the floor in congress and the senate and propose a wage cut for congress folks. It need not even be a permanent one. Just a temperary one until the budget is balanced. That is if they are serious, they would do that.

In fact we should ask every campaigning legislator whether they would favor that. Especially those that think that spending needs to be cut.

18 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Ernies right!

You are finally seeing the light. Spending needs to be cut. Welcome to our side.

Veteran Advisor

The pay of congressmen is not the problem...it represents only a small part of the overall budget. In fact, I would advocate making congress a short term post, maybe two terms at most, for ordinary citizens to come and help keep this land a great one. Well, not just ordinary citizens, but extraordinary ones, the cream of the USA. And maybe raise the compensation to a level that no one has to sacrifice to serve for a term or two. Make their pay equal to what they are eaning in the private world, not more...not less. And eliminate professional politicians...get people that want to serve America, not line their pockets from the public trough. No public pensions, either...and let them buy their own health insurance, too. And limit the travel expenses and the staff. If they can't get the work done with a limited amount of staff, force them to hire better helpers, and maybe realize that they do not have enough energy to serve in the first place. Like some of those old senile duffers that have been around since sliced bread was invented. Put them out to pasture, and let someone up to the task take their place.

Senior Contributor

If you've never been up there and visited with congressman on a business day, you have no idea how hard these people work.  They may not do what we want them to do when they are working but it is not a job I would ever want to have.  I think these people should get paid more actually.  Enough to make them think twice about taking money under the table or, better, to entice better candidates into service.  Washington is an extremely expensive place to live too.  I also think all campaign funds earned during the service of any politician should be donated to charity instead of allowing the departing politician to take the money for their personal use. 

Contributor

You brought up an intersting point:  congressmen living off the public trough for years.

Answer this if you will:  explain the difference of a congressman or senator "living off the public trough" and an unemployed black man "living off the public trough." 

Seems to me that neither one does a damned thing to help this country and we pay for them.

Veteran Advisor

Sorry, I left my KKK outfit at the other place today. You will have to look elsewhere for racial rants.

Honored Advisor

in 2012 obama will be an unemployed black dude still on the public dole.
Contributor

I CERTAINLY did not intend for this to be racial.  I simply want to know how living off the govt. is any different for someone on welfare as opposed to elected officials and their staff.  Neither one seems to be doing anything these days.

Did not suggest you were racist.  Try to answer the question without the paranoia.

Senior Advisor

Re: In case nobody got the point

It wasn't about whether the government officials earn or deserve their pay package., It's about employees doing their share to help the government through tough times.

In contrast, many of you have suggested that union workers should make concessions so that employers can stay solvent.

Really though, I would think that if one is seriously considering budget cutting they should endure a little self induced pain on themselves. That would indicate that they really are serious about budget cuts and aren't expecting everyone else to suffer the pain.

Mr congressman, Are you really serious about reducing spending. Prove it to us.

Veteran Advisor

Listen Pal, you did not have to use the expression "blacks on unemployment"...that is racist and uncalled for. Just like in my county where so many go on about Mexicans on welfare when the majority of the welfare paid out is paid to older white folks living in nursing homes. Lawyers are advertising non-stop for business in this area...pay the lawyer a few thousand bucks, and you can keep the assets of your parents and grandparents and let someone else pay their way.

The names of people on welfare should be printed each month in the local newspaper, with the amount of benefits listed. There is no shame in being indigent, and getting help to survive. The ones that should feel shame would manage their affairs to keep their names out of print.

And I know each generation would be better off because of this.