cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Ernies right!

Hey Red, a lot of lawyers will say a lot of things to get business. Those who are in nursing homes in Iowa can`t give away their assets and go on title 19 for a free ride, there`s a 5 year look back. In Minnesota I believe it`s longer. Gone are the days when a `old goat` gives his land away and shows up the next day destitute at the doorstep of the care center. I am not complaining because that`s the way it should be, families taking care of their own. In my case I mortgaged a farm to pay my Mom`s way and I`m still making payments, like I`ve said that`s okay. There are folks in nursing homes getting a free ride, but they`ve exhausted all their assets and would be dying in the gutter were there not programs for them, the gov`t spends a lot stupider money than helping those dear folks. On the other hand Mexicans that work for less than a living wage get food stamps, free healthcare(E.R. walk away) and actual welfare. There`s even tv commercials in their Mexican jibber jabber telling them where to go for the free goodies.   

Veteran Advisor

If only what you typed was true....

There is a five year lookback , so that means that the transfers are taking place earlier.

and this five year period is not absolute...if someone has property, they can keep most of it even if they shift assets the same time they go on medical assistance. The law, its a federal law, is poorly written, with a huge loophole in it. Probably intentionally so.

Things are not what they seem.

Do mexicans abuse the system with any greater frequency than poor whites? I don't know the answer to that question. But I do know that in Minnesota way more dollars are paid out to elderly white folks than to poor mexicans under the welfare payments. I would suspect this is true in iowa, too.

Honored Advisor

In Iowa the assistance to elderly is called title 19, when someone signs up for it the paperwork asks about all assets in the past 5 years. If there`s over say $5,000 or $10,000 the person isn`t eligible, if someone lies about lack of assets....well that`s a biiiig problem for the liar. The federal gov`t doesn`t pickup the tab for nursing homes, outside the social security paying the first 20 days.  I personally know of many family farms lost to nursing homes. As for the poor white elderly, Minnesota is a white state, 88% white and 4% Mexican so I`d hope more is spent on the poor elderly.

Veteran Advisor

Medicaid is a joint federal/state program, and the states are subject to federal law. The new law regarding transfers is part of the DRA bill, the Deficit Reduction Bill, and replaced a 36 month lookback rule with a 60 month rule. A wealthy person can still either transfer assets before the five year period, and be perfectly eligible or have assets and get medicaid even while the 60 month period is running, they just have to pay a large portion of the costs. And a lawyer, I have a friend that is an attorney in this field, will tell you that you can easily work with the current law to protect most of virtually any estate.

So it becomes an issue of choice.

Both of my grandmothers ended up in nursing home care , one a long time ago, one just a few years ago. One used up the equivalent of a family farm in costs, the other a house and life savings. It was their bill, it was paid , and I have no problem with that.

What bothers me, is seeing people in similar situations pass their families bill on to me, too, through medicaid. If the consensus of the nation is that we are going to socialize nursing home costs, lets vote on that, do it, and apply the same standard to all families, and not have lawyers manipulate the intent. Bush , while governor of  Texas, had a law that adult children were responsible for the nursing home care of their parents, but this was ruled unconstitutional and rescinded. I would bet that you would see very little property transfers if this was the case, though.

A classic example was a next door neighbor that was gifted both the farm of his parents, and that of a bacherlor uncle....all of whom subsequently went on assistance. My father said "I guess he is saying that I should take care of my parents, and his ...too"

But this guy ended up losing all of the land to poor management, anyway. I guess "karma" still rules in our lives....or what goes around, comes around.

As for mexicans on welfare, I stand by my original post. Sometime, walk through a nursing home, and tell me how many hispanics you see in one. People might rail about how "mexicans" live in a house like rats, with 20 in a house, but they revere and take care of their elderly in ways that  we "white bread folks"  might learn from.

Honored Advisor

Hey Red, I wish I had met your attorney friend a few years ago ..LoL.. mine told me all that legally could be done to avoid selling a farm was take out a loan and make the monthly payments out of that. That`s why I`m not rich, I guess Smiley Very Happy I`ll say this about Mexicans that are in nursing homes, their families vist waaaay more often than the `white breads` do. While we`re on thieves....How about those miserable basterds that got a Government write off of their farm debt in the 80`s??  If Hobbyfarmer wants to rail about something I`d love to take him past all those "success stories" that each got the best past of a million dollar write off. Hell, I`d look pretty smart too if I shifted my farm debt to the taxpayers..oh well. Have a Good One Buddy!  

Senior Contributor

Red Steele. agree with you on amount of welfare printing  in local papers but all forms of farm payments including sharing cost  values should be printed annually..........  that would be interestiing reading 

Veteran Advisor

The good book teaches us to pray for people...sometimes I think about praying that HobbyFarmer gets rid of that huge chip he carries around all the time. If he doesn't like cheap food and farm subsidies, he should rail about them to his elected officials. You and I never put them into place. We just play with the cards that were dealt.

Senior Advisor

Re: You're right!

But he is reminding you that you shouldn't criticize those with their nose in the government trough when your nose is in it as well.

Senior Contributor

Re: Ernie right!

Try reading  Heritage,  hardly a wild lib org,  and their take on cheap food and farm subsides.   If there are any chip on shoulder it yours from reading all your present and past posts.   If your so anti spending small govt try this on at current levels the govt will  by using a 10 year period payout 50 billion in farm direct payts  alone to apprdx 1.5 million farmers.   Good way to build a govt  financed pension or inheritance plan,    I know guys who have used govt payts to pay kids college, hexx of a student loan program or a old repub friend who owned around 8000 acres  always told me govt payts helped buy them.   No chip here just a litlle honest truth,