Did you mean: 
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Everyone should see this and listen to the message

49 Replies
bruce MN
Veteran Advisor

Re: Everyone should see this and listen to the message

Thanks for putting it up brian.  A member of my extended family testified at the same hearing.  Said that this young gentleman's presentation was phenomenal and now I see that to be true.

Here's hoping for  the Iowa Senate and Governor Brandstadt. 

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Very Powerful testimony.

Iowa notiller
Senior Contributor

I listened to the young man. Whenever this gay marriage issue comes up I don't understand this. For as long as there has been men and women on this earth marriage has been defined as two people male and female joining together. That is the definition of marriage. Webster's dictionary defines it this way; the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law.

Now when two same sex people want to be joined in the same way we can't call it marriage because marriage is already defined by a man and a woman. Lets call it a gay union but it has to called something else. Do I make any sense? Believe me I am not against two people of the same sex being together we just can't call it marriage.

bruce MN
Veteran Advisor

Becasue of what it says in Webster's dictionary?

I've seen and heard people try to show where it says that in the Bible. I'm sure that somebody could interpret a passage from somewhere in the Quaran or the Talmud or just about any other sacred  (to somebody) scripture to mean that. And God only knows how the modern day conservatives can find the location of The Holy Grail,  a key code to the location of the wreckage of Amelia Earhart's plane and her mortal remains and the recipe for the Big Mac secret special sauce in the U.S. Constitution so I'm sure it's in there, Those are all powerful documents.

But.... the dictionary as a basis for civic law?

Wow.

BA Deere
Senior Contributor

So are you gay marriage advocates gonna

also push for polygamy?  I`ll bet I could find a clean cut articulate young man that was a result of a old school Morman bigamist family, that got good grades and didn`t go on crime sprees. So Brian, Don and Bruce should be marching on Selma for Polygamy rights, right? The thing with polygamy is it`s been around for thousands of years, still practiced in some cultures so it wouldn`t be a social experiment, it`s actually worked!  Also Mary, Mother of our Lord Jesus was 14 years old when she gave birth, so should 14 yr olds be allowed to marry?  I mean come on Jesus was born from a 14 yr old, so why shouldn`t 14 year olds be allowed to marry? I know it`s against the law but the law is unfair, who are we to say a 30 yr old guy doesn`t have the right to marry 5, 15 year olds?  I will wager all you self-rightous liberals, that none of us would be here today were it not for polygamy and 14 year old mothers. So what say you??? 

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Re: So are you gay marriage advocates gonna

I say your getting as looney as Oily, for godsakes, BA!

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

@Iowa notiller wrote:

I listened to the young man. Whenever this gay marriage issue comes up I don't understand this. For as long as there has been men and women on this earth marriage has been defined as two people male and female joining together. That is the definition of marriage. Webster's dictionary defines it this way; the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law.

Now when two same sex people want to be joined in the same way we can't call it marriage because marriage is already defined by a man and a woman. Lets call it a gay union but it has to called something else. Do I make any sense? Believe me I am not against two people of the same sex being together we just can't call it marriage.

There are a lot of things that science has been able to figure out about man's past but I think that is quite an exaggerated statement to say For as long as there has been men and women on this earth marriage has been defined as two people male and female joining together.

Why can we not call it marriage when 2 people of the same sex wish to be united?

Only reason I have heard is that some religions think it is evil.

So why would that stop others from allowing 2 people of the same sex to get married.

Some religions think we should still use horses instead of tractors, we let them do it their way and the rest of live in modern times.

If you did not want them to call it marriage then you should have been proactive and set it up so they could have all the legal rights of 'married' couples in a union by another name. Those who oppose same sex 'marriage' really oppose same sex unions, wishing to force their religious beliefs on others.

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

BA you are doing as others have said throwing some s.h.i.t on the wall to see if any will stick.

What harm can come from allowing 2 people of the same sex to form a legal union if they so wish?

You do not want to, you do not have to but why stop them from getting the legal benefits of a married couple if they wish to?

BA Deere
Senior Contributor

Hey Canuck, in the past I have been against same sex marriage but I`m a pragmatist, old West Texans like me will die off and blow away and more enlightened folks will be in charge. if you`ll notice I didn`t say anything negative, I`m just wondering where the line in the sand will be.  We know 2 Lesbian couples and they are fine, their kids are good. If a old Morman moved next door with his 5 wives, if they were nice I`d have them over with their kids.  Should that Morman be legal to marry those 5 women? In today`s climate, I would say yes, if 2 dudes can marry absolutely that Morman should be legally married to those 5 women. 14 yr olds marrying a 30 yr old man?  Not my Daughter but what others do as long as it doesn`t break my arm or pick my pocket, I`m growing indifferent. Just trying to see where society will draw it`s lines.  Here`s an old Churchill story, seems he was at fancy dinner 3 sheets to the wind and he asked a woman seated next to him if she`d sleep with him for 1 million pounds. She thought and agreed, so he kept asking lower amounts and gets down to 10 thousand pounds and she had enough "Mr Churchill! What do you think I am???" To which Churchill replyed "We`ve already established that madame, now we`re negoticating your price" Smiley Very Happy