cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Explain the field

Romney had a substantial delegate lead and santorum appears to have som strength. Gingrich and Paul are almost out of the picture.

Why does Paul stay in? He has amessage he is trying to sell. Perhaps the presidency isn't really his goal. Romney sharing transportation may be an effort to keep him in to divide the opposition.

Santorum is still n beause hethinks the conservatives will not nominate a Romney and certainly won't elect him.

Gingrich agrees with Santorum that the party will not nominate Romney,   Yet Gingrich will not drop out to clear the field for Santorum. What is Gingrichs motivation to stay in? It helps he has a billionaire to pick up the tab for the PAC and the advertising. Perhaps Gingrich think that Santorum will self destruct and clear the field for hm.

I suppose the attention gives Newt more exposure and a chance to sell more books. But what in the world would be Adelson's motivation?

4 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Explain the field

Well, one candidate has to get a majority of the delegates or it goes to the convention. Paul never had a chance, there was no one surprised more than he when he was 1st or 2nd in some polls in some states.  With Paul it`s always been about the "message", now it`s also about his kid, Rand.  Newt always had too much baggage, perhaps Adleson is using him to keep the candidates pro-Israel?  Look for Romney to win at some point and give "the rose" to Santorum.  They will have alot of making up to do but we thought that about Reagan and Bush #41.  Romney will have to throw a bone to the conservatives and VP Santorum fits the bill.

Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Perhaps being the sole owner of a President is enough of a motive for a billionaire to keep committing money to Newt.  Remember, he was running neck-and-neck with Romney only a few weeks ago, and was considered to be a far superior debater, of that pair. 

Poor Mitt...he is such a stiff. 

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

I wonder if Santorum would be an asset on the ticket. Would Rick pick Mitt for his

veep?  I can understand why you might want Rick on the ticket to strengthen ties with the "right".  But who else are the right going to vote for if not Mitt?

Perhaps Mitt ought to pick a teammate that wins favor with independents and the Reagan democrats. Havng a phoney and an ideologue on the same ticket is not going to appeal to the moderate middle and that is where he has to win the majority. The super righties cannot win alone and you can be sure that Mitt knows that.

Your best bet is to have Santorum to beat Mitt outright but even he would need to be careful in his choice for running mate. And that means a balanced approach to win favor with a wide sector of the electorate.

I suspect you will disagree but that is ok in this discussion.

You see I can visualize those fellows making a collosal mistake just like McCain did last time. Not that they would pick an incompetent but they might pick a trunning mate that will not add to their odds of winning.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

This is just what I have observed, many Democrats could be really happy with Romney, they don`t think of him as a "thumper".  Independents that as a rule don`t align themselves as "Conservative" will be very happy with Mitt.  It`s some of the scorched earth Conservatives that think the Republican party "needs taught another lesson!" that have a problem with Romney...well I have news for them, if the Republicans get "taught anymore lessons" there simply won`t be a country left.   If Santorum wins he would NOT pick Romney for the rose, but Romney will have to pay some sort of tribute to the Conservatives for his liberal past and Santorum may do just that.   Believe it or not McCain did the best anyone could do in `08.  People were war weary and believing that the country was on the wrong track.  Obama comes along, media 4 score behind him, entertainment industry basically running a 6 month continuous 24/7 commercial for him, more money and free advertisment that all other previous elections combined.  No way to win against that, of course now Obama has a record...a poor one.