cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GoredHusker
Senior Contributor

Re: First of all Hobby

They say huh?  You do realize that in a lot of the European countries where their gas price is higher is due to the fact that taxes make up almost 75% of the cost don't you?  Here in Nebraska if you combine both the state and federal tax, taxes make up just shy of 15% of the cost.  

According to CNN:

"The main factor in price disparities between countries is government policy, according to AirInc, a company that tracks the cost of living in various places around the world. Many European nations tax gasoline heavily, with taxes making up as much as 75 percent of the cost of a gallon of gasoline, said a spokesperson for AirInc.

In a few Latin America and Middle-East nations, such as Venezuela and Saudi Arabia, oil is produced by a government-owned company and local gasoline prices are kept low as a benefit to the nation's citizens, he said."

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Extremist and hockey sticks.

$340,836 for every person alive today. Luckily, in the next 100 years we will produce another $300 million new borns that will pay taxes for most of their lives.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Gas tax-both fed and state-in NE are about $0.45.  Does that go up when price goes up?  It is a constant isn't it?

r3020
Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:

Gas tax-both fed and state-in NE are about $0.45.  Does that go up when price goes up?  It is a constant isn't it?

Fed and state stays the same. What rises in the sales tax.

GoredHusker
Senior Contributor

It is constant.  I was merely stating what the percent is now at these prices.  The point is that the U.S. doesn't have nearly as high of taxes per gallon as all those countries we constantly hear about with $8.00 or higher gas costs.  I would however like a link to the article where it's claimed the real cost of gas here in the U.S. is $14.00 a gallon but the gov't eats most of the cost.  If this is true, the gov't shouldn't have any problem reducing deficits.  This alone would wipe well over 1.5 trillion annually from the debt if they just quit subsidizing our gas. 

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

In Germany now gas is about $7.38/gal.  Of that, $2.76 is tax so their gas is a lot more expensive ($4.62/gal) than ours without tax added to it.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

The tax rate doesn't go up but the amount of tax is dependent on the amount purchased.  Not all states impose a sales tax on gas.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Well Hobby, if I were to be indifferent to any group the `confined animal feeding outfits` would be a good candidate, don`t you think?  About 20 yrs ago there were 300 farrow/finish hog raisers in my county, then the big outfits came in taking profits out of state, leaving the stink, spills and problems. Thee only reason them Fother Muckers took over was because they could buy feed cheaper than the family farmer could raise it....there you ...you Hobbyfarmer that`s where the farm subsidies went into the back pockets of the pig factories. On ethanol, gas prices are high because of lack of refineries, ethanol no matter how you cut it has lowered the price of gasoline. Hobby, there is LESS THAN A DIME of grain in a $4 box of cereal, if anyone thinks grain farmers are a part of any problem they are just stupid assholes.  So Hobby, you don`t and never have taken farm subsidies?  So 6 yrs ago when corn was $1.40 cash you would forego a LDP and sell at a loss...I ain`t sayin` yer a liar but there`s somethin` damned fishy.  I mean you lost money raising corn and beans for quite a few years just plugging away, not in the program?  Yet you apparently have nothing against Soc Sec checks and if Obamacare goes though you don`t sound like you`ll have a big problem waiting in line to get your toe nails trimed on the gov`t tab. Gawd forbid anyone take a LDP if corn is $1.40 and their cost was $1.90.    Me thinks Red Steel was correct in speculating that you was perhaps kicked out the program for being a "swamp buster" .  Things aren`t lining up.

GoredHusker
Senior Contributor

This shouldn't be too hard to explain.  Germany imports over 90% of their crude oil demand.  According to Oil and Gas Journal, Germany's domestic supply of crude oil makes up just 6.3% of it's total usage.  The U.S. on the other hand imports roughly 50-60% of their crude oil demand.  According to EIA, 37% of refined petroleum products sold in the U.S. are not only extracted but also refined right here in the good ole USA. 

It's because of having to import and sustain the shipping costs that fuel would be higher in Germany.  It's the same with food.  Food is a lot cheaper here in the U.S. than it is in Japan because the U.S. produces it's own food while Japan imports most of its food. 

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I wasn't arguing with you.  I was just putting out how much Germans had to pay for gas.