cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

Re: First of all Hobby

I always enjoy reading your rants.  For a 46 year old your menory is rather poor,  I never said I didn't at one time take govt farm payts but I did stop when it made me uncomfortable taking money from govt when it wasn't required, now does that refresh your memory.....no swamp busting no violations.  Apparently it doesn'y bother you and Red to take welfare payts while the markets are make you a tidy profits.   Its strange that 1.40 corn and a .50 LDP kept you in business back then but you can't compet to day with out taxpayers help sounds kinda fishing to me.  Maybe capitalism is leaving you behind.

The hog comment is just a example of what you expond raw Capitolism   right

Nothing against SS payed into trust fund for 50 some years unlike DP with no contribution and the only requirement to collect is listing farming on fedral tax return.  right 

Then there is ethanol scam, are you refering to oil or ethanol refineries?  How is it reducing the cost of gas for comsumers?  The milage loss with ethanol alone cost consumers.  the taxpayers provide subsidies to costs consumers.    I believe but could be wrong but  Monsanto is getting  some thing like 9 million of Iowans tax money to built a new and that probably count fed and local tax contributions. ya ethanol is a real deal for consumers but  (as you say) those fother mucker few that profit from it.

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Re: Extremist and hockey sticks.

@kraft-t wrote:

$340,836 for every person alive today. Luckily, in the next 100 years we will produce another $300 million new borns that will pay taxes for most of their lives.

With the democrat's fight to support abortion.... not to d@mn likely to happen.....

............... unless the GOP finally wins enough seats to overturn infanticide in this country.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

This is the first I`ve ever heard you admit to taking subsidies.  I`ve seen you say `Saying you want subsidies to end ISN`T GOOD ENOUGH!!! YOU`RE ALL HYPOCITES!!!`  For someone with that strong of rhetoric, this guy surely has never darkened the door of an FSA office?????...well another anti-subsidy hero has fallen from grace tsk tsk  Smiley Sad  As far as subsidies at crop insurance, fertilizer, chemical and seed meeting I`ve been to all of the speakers allude to the fact farm subsidies are coming to an end and how it`s so important to buy `my product X`.  The farmers themselves can care less if subsidies end, that shows you right there WHO ends up with the money.  Follow the money, Hobby follow the money.  Assuming you were really farming in the $1.40 corn years (a real farmer should know this)  seed was $130/bag  Potash $140/ton ect ect ect so of course you kept in business with $1.40 + the subsidy.  Without the subsidy you would`ve been mining the soil and you might have to find your Wife a 3rd job to subsidize your "hobby" Smiley Wink  The industrial hog complex grew under the main assumption that below the cost of production feed would continue in perpetuity, not a solid business model, period.  Ethanol increases the availablity of fuel, without it there would be at least 10% less fuel available, prices wouldn`t be higher yet?  Look at Brazil, they`ve done well with ethanol.  The "antis" always conveniently fail to mention the DDG feed that is available after making ethanol, Ethanol is rapidly becoming just a by-product of DDGs.  Not the whole answer, but a part.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: Extremist and hockey sticks.

Why didn't it happen under bush?  I thought he owned all of DC from 2000-2006??

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Only one question.  If farmers don't care if subsidies end, why are they still collecting it?  If all are like you and claim to be able to make it without it and feel that it is wrong to take taxpayer money, then WHY are most of you still taking it??

GoredHusker
Senior Contributor

According to the U.S. Department of Energy, ethanol has replaced approximately 2.65% demand for road transportation fuels.  Just how big of a part is it really playing with regards to energy independance?

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Every body seems to be wanting a single silver bullet to end the energy crisis.  I don't think it will happen.  I think it is going to have to be a combination of much smaller things to take up enough slack that we won't have a crisis.  Just like light bulbs.  They say out here in AZ at least, that the average family can save about $50/yr by switching to the new florescent bulbs.  That isn't much but if 50 million homes or more did it, it would save a bunch of electricity.  Same with solar and wind where it is abundant.  All of it added together would produce real savings.  Build more dams as hydro is the cheapest to build and to generate of any.  During and right after WWII, this country pitched in together and did amazing things.  I remember that artificial shortening was white because it had to use something that was needed for the war effort.  You would get a pound plastic bag of it and it had a little button with a tiny little bit of food dye in it and you squeezed that till it broke and then you kneaded the bag to distribute the dye until it looked like yellow butter.  That was my job as a 2-3 year old.  But today, we can't get together for anything but a fight!!  Sad!!

tomtoolbag
Senior Contributor

You're right, because the more diverse the energy types are, the more different jobs that they can produce and sustain, not to mention development costs being lower and total dependence upon a single industry taken out of the equation.

It's like what you referred to with the light bulbs, imagine if EVERY household that has an average KWH usage of around 450-500 KWH per month, a 10% reduction per month nation-wide for the year is a significant amount of energy savings.

Here's another one, if people would allocate around 25% of their yard area and plant a garden, what that could do for savings on grocery budgets but also for health issues. There's a lot of people around here doing that this year, as my son has been pretty busy so far with the tiller.  

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Husker, if you count "transportation fuels" diesel is figured into the mix how much? Half or more maybe, if we`re talking gasoline, Minnesota would be at least over 10% ethanol because it`s mandated.  In Iowa vitrually everyone uses ethanol because it`s 4¢ cheaper and you don`t need to add Heet in the winter.  Since you`re not a exactly a ethanol cheerleader, may I ask, do you feed cattle out there in Nebraska?  Smiley Happy

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

The garden probably wouldn't help me much.  My yard is a mere token to grass.  We have a kidney shaped area of about 35' by 15'!  haha  It takes me 5 minutes to mow it.  I'd also be hard pressed to keep the rabbits and quail out of the yard as it is the only area around where they can get much green grass to eat and be relatively safe from the bad critters here.