cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: You could call me a liar, Bart...

Not a Jesus freak.  Just trying to get my house in order.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Re: Get real with the oil subsidies

we have spent that much on oil and more and still are addicted.

You really would prefer to have our enemies in the middle east getting the bucks than your own countrymen?

For what...for cheaper feed for your cattle?

Have you checked the price of cattle lately?

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

Re: Hey Red and MoS

Read MoS comment about my stating in past posts of taking govt payts but the differents is  farming make a good profit its time for subsidies to go away replacedy a better defined safrty net.   Its just plain wrong to apply for govt payts while selling crops at record prices. with the country is swiming in debt..     BA it was not anti farmer but anti subsidies.   I will always believe d that if going to condemn people recieving govt aid you must also condemn farm subsidies  they come from the same purse.  If a farmer wishes to take subsidies that is his choice it just became appaerantly to myself I was takeing it when I didn't need it or deserved it    Its true the payts just pass thru you to landlords etc but isn't it realy free money taken from others to pay imputs that should be payed out of one own pocket not others.  I hope your happy now that the dreaded point is out anti subsidies  hobby farm collected govt payts in the past,,  sleep well tonite.      grin

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: First of all Hobby

Well the big boom in ethanol occurred in the in the last 5 years, the oil industry has been around 100 yrs.  Ethanol has gotten much more efficient  since the "gasahol" days, cellulosic ethanol is coming along, in a few years maybe corn based ethanol will be obsolete.  I doubt any oil refineries have been put up in the last 30 yrs, each E plant is a small "refinery".  I don`t think most people are irrtated with farmers making money, only a vocal few.  I have said it many times and I`ll say it again now, I don`t care if the do away with the farm program, in truth it never should have started it in the first place, most real farmers agree with that, I believe. If it`s purpose was to "save the family farm" it most certainly failed..epicly.  The little guys bought groceries with their payment, while the big guys bought farms with theirs.  I do think the taxpaying consumers got a fabulous return on their subsidy investment ...hello...10% of their disposible income going for food!  My beef is with those blaming the individual farmers, calling them "hypocrites" for only playing by the rules of the game. BTW I`m thinking that the subsidy is now in the $50/acre range.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

No, it was like hearing a record home-run hitter had been taking steriods Smiley Happy  Look, by you not taking subsidies, you probably save the gov`t $5,000 or so. Why not take that $5K and give it to your Church or food pantry?   The federal gov`t  just blows it on studying the nesting habits of the Red Beaked Turtle Snapper or some such sh!t.  By letting the gov`t have your $5,000, you are essentially saying that they know better how to use that money than you do, do you really believe that?  Have you seen the way they operate?  If they want to do away with subsidies you would definately NOT hear any whinning like the Wisconsin public workers did, every farmer I`ve talked to would support subsidy elemination.  That would make a little difference in spending, $20 billion, certainly more than $5,000 of one individual.   

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

I would much rather give money I earned than money given to me.