cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
8 Replies
hardnox604008
Advisor

Re: F-16s

Well, you know back in the 80s  when the Israeli air force knocked down a huge number of Syrian late model MIGs, like nearly a hundred, in a fairly brief time over Lebanon?

It was good advertisement for the US arms business, for sure, but apparently the skinny was that while the MIGs that the Soviets gave to Syria met the flight specs they weren't equipped with first line avionics and weapon quidance systems. Israeli stuff from the US always had the best of the best, of course.

Sorta like in Gulf War I when our M-1's pounded the bejesus out of Iraq's T-72s.  The T-72's gun had to be rebored every X many shots or it lost range. Iraq's hadn't been so the M-!s just stood off that range and picked them off.

Point I'm trying to make is that X weapon system is not necessarily X weapon system.

And I'm sure that McDonald Douglas and the congressmen from districts wheere they build the plane were happy for the business.

hardnox604008
Advisor

You probably know more about this than I do but a guy I know who was stationed in Europe in the early 80s said that their assessment was that they had little or no  advantage over the huge number of Soviet tanks until the introduction of the A-10.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

My point was that our resident kooks here have been ranting a bout Obama giving the planes to the Muslims but in reality, it was a contract that was fulfilled and it couldn't have happened without strong repub votes.  Also material is one thing but pilots are a completely different problem.  The Warthog definately made a big difference but I think the Abrams tipped the scale.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:

My point was that our resident kooks here have been ranting a bout Obama giving the planes to the Muslims but in reality, it was a contract that was fulfilled and it couldn't have happened without strong repub votes.  Also material is one thing but pilots are a completely different problem.  The Warthog definately made a big difference but I think the Abrams tipped the scale.

A liberal is a liberal. The contract could have been broken as they had different leadership  than when the contract was first signed. Mubarak may have been an ally, but Morsi is definitely not.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Perhaps you should talk to the repubs who voted for it.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:

Perhaps you should talk to the repubs who voted for it.

No, those great statesmen need to be voted from office. They are the problem and have nothing to offer for a solution.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

As I read, the contract was with the military and not the govt.  Do we cancel things when a new president is elected?  No!  Good try though.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:

As I read, the contract was with the military and not the govt.  Do we cancel things when a new president is elected?  No!  Good try though.

The military is the government. And cancel not because of our president but because of theirs. They are now ruled by a terrorist organization. Plus we are broke.