cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Contributor

Re: Death penaly

The only good thing about killing a killer is he will never have the chance to kill again. Life at hard labor is a much better punishment.

man of steel
Senior Contributor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

@man of steel wrote:

Your post shows that you are only looking at the "rehabilitation" side of the justice system. You leave out the punishment side. Many believe there are crimes that are committed that deserve the ultiment price, life.

You may dissagree with that view but the least you could do is stop misrepresenting that view/.

No you do not understand my 'view'. Rehabilitation or punishment makes no difference, killing someone is not going to help anyone.

Killing a prisoner is not going to show someone else they should not kill since that is exactly what 'you', the govenment has done.

Killing a prisoner is only revenge and we all know how revenge is not a good way to act.

As I said, it's not used to help anyone. It's a punishment, not revenge.

Read my last sentance again.

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

Cutting a hand off a rober would be 'punishment' too.

Does not mean it is appropriate.

@man of steel wrote:

man of steel
Senior Contributor

Not that i approve of it, but can you tell me why you don't think it to be appropriate.

@Canuck_2 wrote:

@man of steel wrote:

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

Re: Death penalty

So it's 'punishment' but I ask, Is it appropriate?

I do not think killing another is appropriate and cutting the hand off a robber is not appropriate either.

@man of steel wrote:

Not that i approve of it, but can you tell me why you don't think it to be appropriate.

@Canuck_2 wrote:

@man of steel wrote:

man of steel
Senior Contributor

You stated it was not appropriate. I asked why you don't think it's appropriate. Can you answer that?

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

Taking anothers life is never appropriate.

Now maybe you can tell me why you think it is OK to kill another human?

What good can come from it?

I have suggested it is not a good example but rather an example to others that it is OK to kill.

Why do you think it is good or justified to kill another?

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: Fair trial or mistrial?

The military prison at Leavenworth is no longer "hard labor" but not a good place to be.

usmilitary.about.com/od/justicelawlegislation/a/leavenworth.htm

man of steel
Senior Contributor

I'm going to try one more time and I quote:

"Cutting a hand off a rober would be 'punishment' too.

Does not mean it is appropriate."

Then I asked why, in your view, it is not appropriate?

You started off this conversation misrepresenting the "other" view. This is why it's hard to converse with you. You give no reasoning, just misrepresentations.

"Taking anothers life is never appropriate."

Why? AGAIN?

"Now maybe you can tell me why you think it is OK to kill another human?"

I already did. There are many instances that it's OK to kill another. Self-defense being one of them

"What good can come from it?"

That person will never be a burdun on society and will never do the henious crime again.

"I have suggested it is not a good example but rather an example to others that it is OK to kill."

"Why do you think it is good or justified to kill another?"

Some criminals so much lack respect for other's rights that they deserve the ultiment punishment. 

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

Well mos it seems plain to me that cutting a hand off a robber is not appropriate but OK I will try to explain to you. First it is an example of violent, indeed barbaric punishment that accomplishes nothing but leaving the 'robber' with a huge disadvantage to ever carrying out a productive life therfore he/she will probably have to steal again in order to survive. Did I mention the example of violence carried out by the 'government' that would have us all live peacefully together.

I still fail to see how I "misrepresented" any other view. I just opinioned that taking anothers life is wrong and will not accomplish anything. Did I mention the example of violence that is set out by the very same authorities that we want to keep society peacefull?

Killing someone just so they will not kill anyone else is not the only answer, locking them up will accomplish the same thing. Why kill them it just gives others reason to kill more so they are not apprehended since they can only die once.

I will allow that self defense may be a reaon to kill others but you give no other reason for killing others even though you claim there are many.

I do not think it is appropriate to take anothers life, you on the other hand think life is yours to take but for no reason except revenge.

Is revenge a good reason? I think not!

Why not present an good example on how to live rather than a bad example?

You put forth the idea that everyone should do as you say not as you do.

Why would you think it is good to cut a hand off a robber? 

And to refer back to your premis that it is 'punishment' I agree BUT not appropriate 'punishment' just as cutting the hand off a robber is not appropriate.

Barbaric yes! Just as killing is barbaric.