cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
man of steel
Senior Contributor

Re: Death penalty

"Sorry for being a 'jerk' but for many people killing others is not appropriate..."

That's fine that you don't believe in capital punishment. (I'll call it it's rightful name)

"...so the only reason left is revenge. So in my eyes it is revenge killing. What other purpose can it serve.

There is just no justifiable reason to take anothers life."

That is because you have a closed mind to the view points of others and must misrepresent their view with the thoughts that make up your own closed minded viewpoints. That leads you in a vicious circle

"And I might point out you have not provided one except 'it is punishment..."

I don't have to. That is my only reason to use capital punishment, as a punishment. Good grief! GET IT THREW YOUR HEAD

"...which I maintain is not appropriate."

Doesn't matter what you "maintain"..... We disagree.

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

Re: Death penalty

So mos you think I can not get it through my head.

I see you want to call killing by a fancy name to hide the fact that it is murder.

Did some reading about killing people convicted of crime last night and I found that surveys indicate that from 65-75% of your fellow citizens, like you, want to kill criminals. One survey also asked about sitting on a jury and 40% said their 'moral beliefs' would not allow them to sit on a jury for a murder trial. That left the surveyors scratching their heads, me too.

Did you know, or consider, that murder rates are higher in countries that kill violent criminals for "punishment"? The same is true in your country where murder rates are higher in parts of your country, like the south, where killing criminals is carried out and lower in parts where they do not kill muderers.

So that would indicate that the 'punishment' or fear of punishment does no good so the only reason left is revenge.

It was interesting when I found an article on death sentences that referred to it as the state trying to exact revenge for the deceased.

You can pretty it up with fancy names and deny all you want but I have heard no evidence to show any reason to kill people except the obvious.... REVENGE.

You can disagree all you want but you provide no info to prove otherwise.

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Re: Death penalty by Another Name

@Canuck_2 wrote:

So mos you think I can not get it through my head.

I see you want to call killing by a fancy name to hide the fact that it is murder.

Did some reading about killing people convicted of crime last night and I found that surveys indicate that from 65-75% of your fellow citizens, like you, want to kill criminals. One survey also asked about sitting on a jury and 40% said their 'moral beliefs' would not allow them to sit on a jury for a murder trial. That left the surveyors scratching their heads, me too.

Did you know, or consider, that murder rates are higher in countries that kill violent criminals for "punishment"? The same is true in your country where murder rates are higher in parts of your country, like the south, where killing criminals is carried out and lower in parts where they do not kill muderers.

So that would indicate that the 'punishment' or fear of punishment does no good so the only reason left is revenge.

It was interesting when I found an article on death sentences that referred to it as the state trying to exact revenge for the deceased.

You can pretty it up with fancy names and deny all you want but I have heard no evidence to show any reason to kill people except the obvious.... REVENGE.

You can disagree all you want but you provide no info to prove otherwise.

What is the Death Penalty but by another name when it is called "an abortion"?

Sounds the same to me.... except one major factor...., the baby that is killed has not committed any crimes against people, and the convicted person that has no regard for his fellow mankind and deserves to be extinguished, but is defended by liberals.... and yet those same liberals seek the snuffing the life out of babies on demand.   Does that make sense?

(I can think of maybe one case....., that of B. H. Obama's mother, would have done the world a favor if she had considered having one.)  Ah, well.... it makes one wonder, "what if".

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

You and r3020 want to switch discussion.

This was about killing people convicted of crimes.

Or maybe you are trying to point out how abortion is legitimized because you already kill people who are already walking and breathing.

So why is it OK to kill people?

That was the discussion.

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

You and r3020 want to switch discussion.

This was about killing people convicted of crimes.

Or maybe you are trying to point out how abortion is legitimized because you already kill people who are already walking and breathing.

So why is it OK to kill people?

That was the discussion.

We , I thought, were talking about government sanctioned killing.... is there a difference, any difference at all?

Does the kid even get a pain shot first, before being dismembered, alive???

r3020
Senior Contributor

How much did that little feller's defense cost the tax payers? How long did that jury deliberate? How many appeals was he granted? What was his crime? Was this a case of punishment or revenge? One thing for sure, he will never kill.

man of steel
Senior Contributor

It's revenge of course. Has to be as there is no legit reason to murder a baby like that

r3020
Senior Contributor

Sadly it is not. It is a murder of convenience. That is how cheap life has become. Then we wonder why society is in the gutter.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

You people keep talking about abortion but your politicians campaigned on it and won and had complete control over Washington for 6 years and NEVER even mentioned it after the elections.  Never even TRIED to outlaw it.  The truth is that you don't want to get rid of it because it is what riles up the electorate and you need it to get them fired up.

r3020
Senior Contributor

Bart, the first thing Bush did was sign an executive order so no government funding could be used. Everything the repubs did was either filibustered or over turned by the ACLU and the courts.