cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Farm Bill ideas

like a Tobacco buyout.

Pay 5 years of subsidies to the operator of record in the previous year and terminate all future price supports and insurance subsidies.

Re-write RFS to an almost fast 15 b/g/y* and then let the chips fall as they may.

Would be a big chunk up front but will save money in the long run. It would give most of the money to the operators as opposed to the land. As the ownership of land shifts away from family farmers, no reason to subsidize wealthy investors non-farm heirs and pension funds.

A lot of the operators who wouldn't want to continue are over 60 anyway. It is kinda throwing money down a rathole to keep trying to meet the COP of the "average" producer who is renting a few thousand acres. They'll get a chunk of cash to help figure it out. As can the BTOs and their bankers.

USDA could continue as a lending agency to finance non-commodity rural enterprises.

17 Replies
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: Farm Bill ideas

The land market wouldn't adjust in particular until or unless people who are paying rents run out of the money and force it to.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

The asterisk for ethanol would be to permit banking of a billion or two gallons in extreme short crop years but require it be made up in 3.

gurly3801539
Advisor

Maybe not a bad idea, but is USDA willing to give up the gathering of reports. To enforce any type of conservation or land and market control wouldn't they have to admit they are intercepting GPS signals for planting acres and yield per acre? Interesting but I doubt the government is willing to throw too much control away. Probably sad but as once said a farm program is as close to perpetual motion as we get.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

My suggestions have no particular influence but I’d suggest getting out of the reporting game- let farmers be erpetually pissed off at Cargill and ADM.

And this will really make heads explode but I’d turn green programs over to EPA.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

As far as “farmers” go they’d go from a tiny constituency to minuscule a bit faster than where it was going.

Government efforts should focus on non-commodity stuff and rural economic development.

If the corps start hosing America at large then we can break them up and start over.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

As far as turning green programs over to EPA.

Let's say you own a modest spread and want to continue your rural lifestyle. The sole reliance on commodity crops is now over- or at least in terms of having the guarantee that the politics of it will forever produce the lifestyle you wish. But with a substantial balance sheet you are free to do most anything to try to make a living and stay where you are.

Under those circumstances, with the satellites and robots farming the commodity crops all around you (and maybe part of your land) do you really have a stake in wanting it to be unregulated?

gurly3801539
Advisor

If corps start hosing America at large then we can break them up and start over.

We have a very poor record at doing that.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

It is happening anyway, just a question of how quickly people say (always belatedly), oh *****, this isn't working for me.

I wouldn't really expect very many at all in "agriculture" to support any such sharp departure from the status quo.

But the 99% who aren't should shed themselves of the pointless, perpetual support of commodity agriculture. That ship sailed a very long time ago.

In as fair and constructive manner as possible.

gurly3801539
Advisor

Under the circumstances, with satellites and robots farming all the commodity crops around you (and maybe part of your land) do you really have stake in wanting it to be unregulated?

As government grows I doubt there will be anything technically unregulated, however with fewer and bigger entities in just about every area of any type of production I would expect more corruption. 

With robots farming, manufacturing, transporting and distributing our products will figuring out what to do with human beings be governments biggest problem?