cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox
Advisor

Farm Bill

unlikely to claim any priority in Crazyville but it would be a good idea to beef up the '14 bill before D's take over Congress in '18.

When that happens, they're going to want support of nutrition programs in return for any increase, or even continuance, of farm support.

And for much of the R caucus, rewarding Good People isn't nearly as important as punishing Bad Ones.

I've been noting the shift of the ever purple upper Midwest to very Red over the last couple of decades with some thought that it would become a problem for some, someday.

12 Replies
AllenJwi
Senior Contributor

Re: Farm Bill

I see your time in the nut house was a waste of time...

Katzenjammer12
Senior Contributor

The best thing that could happen to this country is to have no farm bill.  Likely, the one we have will get weakened and spread out to where it doesn't help much of anyone.  That has the advantage of being like no (or not much of a) farm bill but the disadvantage of costing a lot of money.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Kudos. The farm bill should be labeled the big time operator protection act. Nothing but a give away to the rich. Much of which ends up with Monsanto and Deere.

hardnox
Advisor

Fine with me.

Probably not fine for a lot of people with a lot more exposure.

Our Government Sponsored Agriculture regime works via the moral hazard of always knowing that if you're in the upper 2/3rds that the government will always come in when things get bad enough and save you.

And in the modern era I assume "no farm bill" is not the same as "no ethanol mandate"?

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I think your "purple, blue, red" analysis goes on a whole different ride.  Let`s look at farm bill facts: There`s farmers that`ve watched Bigshots buy farms with their farm program checks, while they buy groceries with theirs, those in that group hate farm bills.  The general public is more and more detached from the farm, farmer grandpa croaked and the family land was sold 20yrs ago.  

Now the economics, the cool black dude doubled the national debt, even if the public could be won over, there isn`t the money to have a farm bill that would keep families on the farm (if that indeed is still the goal).  We`d have to go back to $100+ billion/yr farm programs to do any good, now when senator Bullsworth comes around and you`re waxing your $200,000 36 row planter, how do you convince senator Bullsworth that you`re "poor" and how does Bullsworth justify to the constituents voting for a program that would do any good?

That 2014 piece of garbage farm bill spent money when we didn`t need it and now with low prices gives nothing or next to nothing.   But, farmers still have equity to burn and the "cheap food policy" clock has been wound.  

hardnox
Advisor

In which case the prospects for Midwest grain farming going forward are poor.

Weather and other factors will dictate in the short to intermediate term but the whole game is based on the moral hazard of anticipated government intervention.

BTW, as far as your assertion about the deficit, have you studied those FRED charts of revenue and deficits that I've given you several times?

Can't fix stupid, but once again building in bigger structural deficits and deregulatin' is like deja vu.

r3020
Senior Advisor

You forget the progressive gave us the ethanol mandate because of air pollution and their hatred of big oil. Now ethanol is cheaper than gasoline, doesn't pollute the air or the ground water.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I never said anything about the "deficit" I was talking about the NATIONAL DEBT ...it doubled under the cool black guy and he couldn`t have done it without the federal reserve giving a gift of essentially zero cost of borrowing money for 8 years.  Now a blonde guy gets in after the national debt doubled and Shazam! interest rates go up and there will in fact be a cost of servicing debt.    So, yeah now we`ll start seeing how the national debt matters and families scraping by in below living wage jobs and credit card debt.   Under W Bush debt to GDP was about 80%, under the cool black guy it was 107% and he handed it off to the blonde guy...well now we`ll see what can be afforded and a farmer friendly farm bill ain`t no where near in the cards.

rsbs
Advisor

Maybe the CSP portion of the farm bill will survive, and ED will keep getting his $30 per acre subsidy to grow crappy crops.