cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Farm dogs are the happiest dogs in the whole wide world.

I think. 

I have been watching many Lassie old 1950's TV shows lately. 

I wish America went back to those innocent simple joyful

tearful black-and-white America-Likes-Ike Lassie days.

Does YOUR farm dog run free, leashless and collarless like Lassie,

Rin Tin Tin, Old Yeller, and Savage Sam did?

7 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Farm dogs are the happiest dogs in the whole wide world.

Yeah. They also like to kill rabbits and cats. But their favorite.......coons. Or maybe a groundhog.

Honored Advisor

Yes, our Dogs run free, though they`re spoiled and spend alot of time indoors.  But they aren`t cold weather Dogs, one`s a Jack Russell and the other is a Chihuahua.  I get so attached to Dogs I hate it when I lose one, I don`t know what I`ll do when something happens to these 2. 

Veteran Advisor

Has a collar, but rarely used a leash.  Gets along with the barn cats, but likes to hide the kittens in the fencerows.  Had this one since a pup, and at 16 years (the dog), we're quite attached -- dog goes almost everywhere I go, very good farm/house/truck dog,  Probably never have another one like it.  Can't hear anymore, and can't run anymore, but used to be a good birddog (pointer) and still likes to try to hunt.  Eventually losing this dog will be difficult for awhile, might even get a headstone.  Never had a dog get this old.

Never had a "real" dog, just a stray or rescue from somewhere, but they're always good dogs (or else).

Veteran Contributor

I can't imagine an old lady's lap yapper for herding cows or sheep, controlling rodents or hunting pheasants or doves in the country or just playing ball with farm boys or securing the spread against thieves and rustlers or protecting children from wild animal attacks. Or fetching people for help.

The most likely dogs to be on the country spread are apt to be German shepherds, collies, mountain curs, coon hounds, retrievers, spaniels, heelers and Aussie shepherds.

Dogs for hunting, varminting, herding.....companionship,  security and birding. 

Veteran Contributor

Kill "cats" as in bobcats or mountain lions?

Senior Advisor

@JonBailey64 wrote:

Kill "cats" as in bobcats or mountain lions?

Kitty.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Good dog.....Woof!