cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Fast and furious served it's purpose

Most state, if not allof them, have had a requirement to report any transaction of two or more gun purchases by an individual in any one month for years. Big deal!!!
Veteran Advisor

Can you put a real number on "so many"?
Veteran Advisor

Show us where in the Constitution it gives you the right to buy even ONE assault rifle!
Veteran Advisor

if you put yourself into the mindset of the framers of the constitution, having just successfully fought the biggest military machine in the world, the British military, what do you think they meant? Would they have wanted to replace it with another institution that could not be overthrown?

I think it is pretty obvious that the intention was to keep the power to overthrow a tyrannical government in the hands of the people. Maybe nuclear and biological weaponry change how any of can think now, but the original intention would be to have the same access to weapons by citizens that government troops would have.

Am I missing something ?

Senior Advisor

@Red Steele wrote:

if you put yourself into the mindset of the framers of the constitution, having just successfully fought the biggest military machine in the world, the British military, what do you think they meant? Would they have wanted to replace it with another institution that could not be overthrown?

I think it is pretty obvious that the intention was to keep the power to overthrow a tyrannical government in the hands of the people. Maybe nuclear and biological weaponry change how any of can think now, but the original intention would be to have the same access to weapons by citizens that government troops would have.

Am I missing something ?

A progressive mind.

I think the interpretation that prevailed for many years was that they were speaking about the states' right to maintain their militias which has sort of been maintained through the national guards, even if those have been wholly subsumed into the national defense triad.

If you interpret it to mean that all forms of armanent should be available to citizens in order to equal the power of the Federal government then you are essentially faced with creating Mogadishu on the Mississippi in service of. maintaining extreme libertarian ideals.

A lot changed when horse cavalry went up against machine guns and poison gas in WWI and a lot more changed with Hiroshima.  I don't think the framers, for the most part, envisioned that in their original intent.

Advisor

Allot changed with the IED.

Indeed. Humans are infinitely adaptive.

I assume that explosives are tightly regulated, post 9/11. Which seems reasonable to me.

Don't know what the deal is on ammonium nitrate- it seems like dry N has gone almost entirely to urea. I'd ask someone for the particulars but they might have to file a Suspicious Persons Report on me.

It seems like an almost impossibly innocent time but I had a friend and neighbor, now deceased of natural causes, who kept a personal stash of dynamite.

He'd enthusiastically blow a stump for you just for the fun and his cost on the sticks and cap. If I recall correctly he said that he got them from a quarry where he just had to sign for them.  Beyond that I don't think he had any particular credentials- just liked to blow stuff up.

Advisor

Is an IED what the McKinley administration's precursor to the modern day CIA used to blowup the Maine? 

However it happened, we got the tough to sell Spainish American War out of it.