14 Replies
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: Final 4

Half time--Butler by 6.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

"So long."   I thought at first you were talking about all the pre-game programing.  

I came in the house for dinner (noon meal for farmers) and told my daughter who is home from college to tape the first game for me at 5 PM as I didn't think I would make it in for the start.  I was up working on machinery in the shop with my brother where we have a small TV.  My brother turned the TV a little after 3 PM and they already had some pre-game show on about the Final Four.  I asked my brother what time the first game started as I was worried I gave my daughter the wrong starting time.  I guess I didn't realize the Final Four is getting as bad as the Super Bowl with hours of pre-game programing.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

I'm pulling for Butler in the final. 

Bart, did you see the news video showing Butler's Matt Howard's mailman father accepting gifts of money from people on his mail route to help him afford to take his large family to the Final Four?  The wife and I looked at each other and wondered if he might get in trouble with the USPS for that.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

By regulation, a postman may except gifts of less than $20.   Doubt anyone wants to be a grinch on this one though.  I started to say that with a salary of at least $50K, why does he need it but then I forgot he has 10 kids and at least one in college probably more!  I gotta go for Butler also.  Too bad VCU and Butler had to play each other.  That would have a great final.

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

If the Butler v UNC game is as good as the VCU v Butler game it is going to be a terrific final. I too, am rooting for Butler, I'm just not sure they have enough to get by UNC. UNC held off Kentucky, only because Kentucky ran out of gas.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

I'm not rooting for Butler or anyone else from Indiana. Indiana sent Steve Alfred to Iowa and that great coach from Butler. Two fo the best since sliced bread. They ruined Iowa basketball for at least a generation.

Plus Indiana has also given us Dan Quayle. Richard lugar, Congressman Burton and other idiots to numerous to mention.

I would root for Uconn NC or duke before I would root for any team from indiana. Even my fondness for Bob Knight has vaporised.

bruce MN
Advisor

You (inadvertantly, I'm sure) neglected to mention earl butz.
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I take it you were responding to Don.  You might also mention Coach Pearl and the "deal" he did to Illinois a few years ago.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

I'm not rooting for Butler or anyone else from Indiana. Indiana sent Steve Alfred to Iowa and that great coach from Butler. Two fo the best since sliced bread. They ruined Iowa basketball for at least a generation.

Plus Indiana has also given us Dan Quayle. Richard lugar, Congressman Burton and other idiots to numerous to mention.

I would root for Uconn NC or duke before I would root for any team from indiana. Even my fondness for Bob Knight has vaporised.

Butler is known for it's academic excellence and tolerance. At 40k/year it is not a cheap way to get an education.

snip-Founded in 1855 by attorney and abolitionist Ovid Butler, Butler occupies 290 acres in Indianapolis' Butler-Tarkington neighborhood. The University emphasizes a liberal arts-based education with the goal of teaching clear and effective communication, appreciation of beauty, and a commitment to lifelong learning, community service and global awareness.

Butler offers more than 65 majors. Over the past five years, our graduates have enjoyed an average 96 percent job placement rate, with 100 percent in education and pharmacy.

http://www.butler.edu/about/