Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

For the Truthers

4 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: For the Truthers

I assume that's for me as I'm the only person here who admits to having doubts.

Doesn't prove anything. Even if there was a failure due to metal softening (that would be inconsistent with the design specs and a unique event in the history of steel framed high rises) it would proceed in an irregular, deforming pattern.

It wouldn't fall through the progressively stronger lower structural frame at near free fall. What it might conceivable do in wildest imagination, is deform until the portion above the weakened area tipped far enough to topple over- it would fall away from the point of greater resistance below, not through. Although again that has never happened to a steel high rise and there have been some fierce fires.

The towers were fairly unique in design (7 was a conventional truss and girder lattice) with a center core supporting most of the structural load and the floors cantilevered out off of it- the exterior beams mostly just tied them together.

Like a grain bin, the gauge of metal on the 40 some 4X6ish box beams that made up the core were heavier guage as you went down- once you've reached a point of maybe 300% load redundancy there is no point in having more weight than what it takes to support the diminishing load above.

The pure pancake theory got tossed out because it was preposterous but the official theory requires a bit of that. In the fantasy that the upper portion pulverized the lower it would take quite some time as there would be many points of resistance which would slow it down.

In Billy Bob's Mr. Science routine he did heat his steel to 1800 degrees which is well above the max 1500 that a hydrocarbon fire can achieve in atmosphere and since the smoke was black you can conclude that it was oxygen starved and something below that.

I'm sorry if he's exercised that many members of his tribe are gullible, but I'm sure you'd never convince him of that.

Highlighted
Advisor

At least now we know what became of Ollie.  

Highlighted
Advisor

Ha! Sorry to involve any innocent parties in a matter that makes people very uncomfortable but a shot was fired across my bow.

http://911research.wtc7.net/wtc/arch/core.html

"Like the perimeter columns -- and like steel columns in all tall buildings -- the thickness of the steel in the core columns tapered from bottom to top. Near the bottoms of the towers the steel was four inches thick, whereas near the tops it may have been as little as 1/4th inch thick. The top figure in the illustration to the right is a cross-section of one of the smaller core columns from about half-way up a tower, where the steel was about two inches thick. The bottom figure shows the base of one of the larger core columns, where the steel was five inches thick. The bases of the columns also had slabs of steel running through their centers, making them almost solid"

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@hardnox wrote:

Ha! Sorry to involve any innocent parties in a matter that makes people very uncomfortable but a shot was fired across my bow.

http://911research.wtc7.net/wtc/arch/core.html

"Like the perimeter columns -- and like steel columns in all tall buildings -- the thickness of the steel in the core columns tapered from bottom to top. Near the bottoms of the towers the steel was four inches thick, whereas near the tops it may have been as little as 1/4th inch thick. The top figure in the illustration to the right is a cross-section of one of the smaller core columns from about half-way up a tower, where the steel was about two inches thick. The bottom figure shows the base of one of the larger core columns, where the steel was five inches thick. The bases of the columns also had slabs of steel running through their centers, making them almost solid"

And yet you want that government in charge of our health care. Twight zone.