cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

For the record

I agree 100% that free trade is the way to go.  Among countries with similar regulatory systems,  respect for private property and where the power of government is not used to favor one party or another (that may leave out the USA).   Is that happening anywhere?

What we have now is a system of trade where governments favor some at the expense of others.  And some use it as an extension of foreign policy.

PS: its been so interesting watching the evolution of some of our posters into full blown neolibs.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: For the record

The EU and Canada would seem to come closest to meeting your criteria, I guess. 

Not that trade arrangements with those partners couldn't have used some periodic updating, but that is Exhibit #1 against the flounderings of our Reality TV POTUS.

And I guess if farmers want to cause themselves serious economic harm out of solidarity for the white working class and the 2% of GDP that the trade deficit with China represents, be my guest.

BTW, as I've said many times, there's nothing ennobling about standing on a line for 8 hours and turning a wrench or cutting up pigs. In an ideal world the best idea is to get somebody else to do that stuff for you.

There are a couple of mutually contradictory factors involved here, too. An overly abrupt US retreat into isolationism and autarky will, without a doubt, create waves that are going to wash onto our shores regardless. But managing a graceful retreat in a world of our making is a very tall order. Holding together a domestic consensus is probably the toughest part. Like in England, people tend to get impatient and want to just "do something".

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Although in regards to the EU and Canada, I suppose that nations that have very effective and economical univesal health systems could be accused of "favoring some citizens over others".

Because clearly, some people don't deserve health care.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

BTW, I assume you support BDS?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

sdholloway56 are you on some sort of drugs?