cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Fox News, generational

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/27/i_lost_my_dad_to_fox_news_how_a_generation_was_captured_by_thrashing...

Being as objective as I can, I've heard way too may people say this to believe that it isn't happening in many millions of families.

I really didn't experience it too much. My dear departed Mother was primarily interested in politics to the extent of where she was going to get seated at the county Lincon Day dinner and whether there would be good social events at the state convention. But late in life she wasn't immune from picking up some of the stuff from her cohorts and would sometimes surprise me.

Anyway, I am 100% certain that this phenomenon has significant multigenerational legs. However that is utterly immaterial to the election cycle length political timeline that its being played on.  They'll deal with that when the time comes, or actually, after making gazillions as hired guns, let it be somebody else's problem.

14 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Fox News, generational

LOL, lots of truth there.

My question is why does the ticker on the screen @ FOX go so dammed  S l  o   w ........  ??

Highlighted
Advisor

Bumping up

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I enjoyed that article and it so very well sums up the obvious Fox watchers who comment on this website. It captures their very DNA. They are always mad and alawys worked into a fury, likely because of their Fox addiction. And like the author, when I suggest that maybe they should try and listen to NPR or watch the PBS news hour, or a variety of other channels (which I do find inferior), they just dismiss it as all hogwash, though they have never listened or watched a minute. Well, I have watched Fox and I understand what Fox is doing. I just can't rationalize it based on truth and the diversity of news sources that I occasionally watch and read.

Favorite snips:

"My father sincerely believes that science is a political plot, Christians are America’s most persecuted minority and Barack Obama is a full-blown communist. He supports the use of force without question, as long as it’s aimed at foreigners. He thinks liberals are all stupid, ignorant **bleep**s who hate America."

"I do not blame or condemn my father for his opinions. If you consumed a daily diet of right-wing fury, erroneously labeled “news,” you could very likely end up in the same place."

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Well, Nox let`s use the demograhic age groups of our little argument group on here.  Let`s use age 60 as the cut off point here, unless I`m way off on guessing people`s ages it seems those over 60 are what we would call "liberals"  I would guess that Nox, Bruce, Don, GTO, Schurrbart and Hobbyfarm are liberal and over 60.  I have no idea the age of Knapper and AgJudge, but I would assume they are in their 40`s and of course liberal. 

I`m 49 and conservative, I would guess 3020, Craig, Red, MoS, Flatland hillbilly, Dem4life,Ollie to be under 60 and conservative and Sam and Husker are conservative and just young pups probably in their 30`s.   Sorry, I know I`ve left some out but that`s all I could think of off the top of my head.  On here with 60 as the cut off point that would suggest that the "old fuddy duddies" are the liberals Smiley Happy

But with the story in your link it`s basically saying "my Dad was so nice, years ago then he started watching Fox and got mad"  well the author wonders "What changed him???"   Well, the author says `I was a Republican/libertarian then in 2012, I voted for Obama`....Hello???? the author is the one that changed!!  He just doesn`t even recognize it!

The author ought to realize that America has changed and the author has changed right along with the 52% that put Obama in office.  The author should revise his conclusion and understand that HE himself  and the country has changed and why is his Dad that has always loved him, not changed.

*I don`t watch or even get Fox News, I do watch Fox News sunday with Chris Wallace.  But here are Fox news ratings compared to other news shows  http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/02/26/cable-news-ratings-for-tuesday-february-25-2014/240245/ 

What I think is going on is the author`s Dad is actually watching "news" and the Generation X does not watch news for the most part.  Gen Xers get their information from Bill Maher, Steven Colbert and Jon Stewart and David Letterman....no bias there ...sarcasm - off   Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Off the thread a little but thought I would ask if anyone watched Fox news this morning??  I heard but didn't see, that the stars of the morning show were all wearing black arm bands of tv this morning?  Is that true?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

I enjoyed that article and it so very well sums up the obvious Fox watchers who comment on this website. It captures their very DNA. They are always mad and alawys worked into a fury, likely because of their Fox addiction. And like the author, when I suggest that maybe they should try and listen to NPR or watch the PBS news hour, or a variety of other channels (which I do find inferior), they just dismiss it as all hogwash, though they have never listened or watched a minute. Well, I have watched Fox and I understand what Fox is doing. I just can't rationalize it based on truth and the diversity of news sources that I occasionally watch and read.

Favorite snips:

"My father sincerely believes that science is a political plot, Christians are America’s most persecuted minority and Barack Obama is a full-blown communist. He supports the use of force without question, as long as it’s aimed at foreigners. He thinks liberals are all stupid, ignorant **bleep**s who hate America."

"I do not blame or condemn my father for his opinions. If you consumed a daily diet of right-wing fury, erroneously labeled “news,” you could very likely end up in the same place."

Who are the Fox watchers? I don't have cable.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Well BA , a true gentleman shouldn't reveal his age in polite compnay. Smiley Happy

I am pretty sure that Giilligan is in his mid to upper 50's though.

Ollie is either a 9 year old or 165.

But, if you think that FOX Noise is in the same league as Real News Sources, well then I am

very happy that you dont get it out there on the ranch.

Oh and according to Gilligan I forgot to die about 8 years ago  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Well, my brother is probably more extreme, more fanatical, more hardcore rightwing than any of you folks and watches fox 6-10 hours each and every day and he is 78! He also has a gay son.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Though you may not have cable consider the below statement and ask yourself who on this site would agree with it 100%....You can always make your own statement if you feel different, but bear in mind I never named anyone, not you for sure.