cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Free College for All

A quick marketing question....

IF a college education is free...........what is it worth? Yes, that is correct, it is worth what you paid for it Smiley Frustrated

If you think about it, with 95% of college profs liberal elites, and college is free, how is that different than a Nazi youth camp? Or a Chinese "re-education" camp?     Answer... IT ISN'T.    That will make for an interesting Supreme Court decison some day.    I wonder if the colleges have thought about this carefully. They might be forced, by the courts, to keep their education balanced, like the fairness doctrine, only in reverse.

12 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Funny you should mention Nazi youth camps.

It's funny you should mention Nazi youth camps because Germany is famous for its tuition-free (students do pay about 350 Euros per semester student fees, bus pass, etc. and their own room & board).   Apparently, German university graduates earn on average 40% more than their trade school/ technical school compatriots, whose education is also free.

So I guess you could say in a way, a free education is worth a lot.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Funny you should mention Nazi youth camps.

There is no such thing as "free college" and "free healthcare"  university professors and doctors do NOT donate their time & talent to fulfill those political PROMISES.  It`s rather COST SHIFTING to taxpayers (to everyone that makes $1 more than me, of course). 

The "free college" wastes money in that not everyone is "college material" many young people need a few years to "find themselves" before they commit to a major.  If they hustle working at a restaurant or being a Uber driver and signing the dotted line on a student loan, they "find themselves" a hell of a lot quicker.  Smiley Happy  If taxpayers pickup the tab, it might take them until 35.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Free College

Rick, you use averages as if they mean anything. The aveage earns 40% more....meaning quite a few make a lot less. You just included a brain surgeon in the average while most graduates probably can't even label the parts of the brain. How about you do the math on english lit majors versus electricians.....pretty sure I know how that one works out. :-)

You might have missed the marketing point, we already have a glut, have way overproduced, liberal arts majors. We have a shortage of engineers, nurses, doctors, etc.  The main users of the free education will be liberal arts majors since those majors in shortage already have huge programs to get them the education. Thus, increasing the supply of something that is already in oversupply will simply make the degree worth even less.....pretty simple actually. 

Unlike some, I am quite happy giving free college to ANYONE of limited means if they want to commit to service in a field where we have a shortage. Hispanic doctors who agree to serve in the inner-city for example should be a win. Same for black doctors in the inner-city, or black doctors who agree to serve in North Dakota.  SAME for white doctors agreeing to serve in rural North Dakota. OR even for a rural irishman from Iowa who agrees to serve in Chicago for 8 years. It isn't race....but there is a severe need....so lets use some economic incentives to help fill the need. 

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Education is the best example of something that should not be in government hands —-ever — not at all.  

The simplest of examples— if we are over run with liberal arts degrees, why do we still supply student loans for that degree?   Government will never manage it wisely. They will always manage their responsibilities to benefit themselves and their child.  Or penalize a Christian parent for paying extra to get a child into a private school while they cheat the laws they are charged to upholding. 

When we keep electing mothers to congress to make laws about education, in a society that can’t say no  to children,  it’s no wonder our grads can’t compete.  Or make a decision in the ballot box!  Or accept their first loss without an overdosing.

congress itself probably does not intend to pay back their personal loans and hopes to stay in congress long enough to get the taxpayers to pay their personal bills.  

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I certainly favor free 2 yr community college- either vo-tech or academic prep tracks.

The problem is that it would be a dagger in the heart of the for-profit "industry" which has a lot of lobbying power- one of the reasons that it continues to get away with very high student loan default rates.

BTW, I am personally offended by people who have received God Knows How Much in public assistance still bellyaching about people getting anything from the dang gubmint.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Education should not be in the hands of the dang gubmint.

It should be in the hands of science and history denying Nazis.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Education already is in their hands.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Sure Turdy.

I'm really sorry about the Copernicus thing.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

We now have to keep pads in the restrooms for menstruating men. Women can no longer have their own sports they have to allow men on their sports teams and in their locker rooms and showers.  Science means nothing to a progressive dem.