cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

GOP candidate???

A substantial % of the posters here have identified themselves as conservative, Republican sympathizers. Some have expressed preferences for the election a year and a few months from now. I don't recall anybody saying anything about Gov. Huntsman.

He'd draw good support from independents. And from Dems who see Obama as, if nothing else, totally shot in so far as being effective, no matter how they feel about the politics involved.  

Does this blogger  describe the GOP party accurately? What do you think about Huntsman?

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/the-reluctant-mormon/?ref=opinion&gwh=CEA686F0393E8D...

38 Replies
tomtoolbag
Senior Contributor

Re: GOP candidate???

A couple of things stand out as totally amusing in that article. The first is that he would skip Iowa and their version of the political process that is more political economic tourism and mostly a big waste of time and campaign money. The others are the obvious dislike of Mormons by the republican party, but of all the crazy and ridiculous religions, the Mormons are at the top of the list.

That must be a tough choice for the "thumpers" because of the strict adherence to the religion agenda but not the Mormon one, although the right wing extremists obviously don't have a problem with the submissive status of women in the Mormon religion.

Any bets that him or Romney will steer clear of the Quincy, IL. area????? 

hardnox604008
Advisor

Not a Gopper any more but had that discussion in our sunday school class about Romney last time around.

Respect for one's heritage aside, hard for me to take seriously someone who adheres to a faith that is based on some matters that are provably historically false.  I'd say that among that class which is probably mostly Republican leaning the take on it was sharply divided.

Of course that is viewed as totally crazy by non-Christians and proof that we're not any different than the Muslims and the Shiite/Sunni thing.

Much to be admired among present day LDS folks though and I'm not really interested in burning them out of Navoo.

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Re: Huntsman??? Naw, Enough of the RINO Dem Lite.

@bruce MN wrote:

A substantial % of the posters here have identified themselves as conservative, Republican sympathizers. Some have expressed preferences for the election a year and a few months from now. I don't recall anybody saying anything about Gov. Huntsman.

He'd draw good support from independents. And from Dems who see Obama as, if nothing else, totally shot in so far as being effective, no matter how they feel about the politics involved.  

Does this blogger  describe the GOP party accurately? What do you think about Huntsman?

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/the-reluctant-mormon/?ref=opinion&gwh=CEA686F0393E8D...

Enough of the RINO Dem Lite.  Never works.  McCain was a Dem Lite and the dems voted for the real democrat, anyway.  Whenever a true Conservate runs, they win.  Better to lose to a real democrat that you can make a hobby of tearing down, instead of getting a RINO that you have to pretend to support. (like bush)

If Paul Ryan gets into the race.... boom, I am on his team in a blink of an eye. Works for getting the midwest to go "red" as well.  Toss in Santorum for V-P and the eastern Rust Belt area, and you have a winning team.   Bachmann for V-P could be even better, she has Washington experience, knows tax law better than most, born in Iowa, is right on all the Tea Party concerns.  Herman Cain would make a fantastic Sec. of Commerce.  Rubio would make a great V-P as well, but would hate to lose him in the Senate for the minor role as the V-P.

Speaking of the Senate, that is the area the Conservatives must concentrate the most on.  If we can achieve a veto proof majority in both houses, it would render any second term of obama the same as useless.  It would also make it easy to impeach "the One" if he ever over steps his Constitutional bounds with "executive orders".

bruce MN
Advisor

Mormon's get the same treatment from the fundi evangelical clergy as Muslims and Jews do. Maybe worse if there are some nearby, as alot of people convert to Mormonism. Not many to Islam or Judaism.

Whenever you see a Morman event or a group of people identified as Mormons I'm always brought to mind of one of those amazingly consistent registered cow herds you run across now and then. Living proof of what can be done by somebody who really has vision and knows what they are doing to acheive genetic implementation, You may or may not like or have a commercial use for those particular cattle, but what has been accomplished is spectacular.

Have you ever  seen a portrait of Brigham Young as a young man? An absolute specimin. You can see Steve Young in him. The Osmond boys. Incurably handsome Mitt Romney. Dimpled child actor Ricky Shroeder. Are you old enough to remember Merlin Olsen of the NFL and Little House on the Prairie?

Had BYU/Morman TV on sateltte for a while. Was watching the BYU men's chorus one night and thought to myself that there wasn't a face in there that wouldn't have made the mother of my then 3 young daughters light up if one of them brought one of those boys home.

It had to be traits that they obviously knew enough to keep out. What Goebbels (he was an animal breeder BTW, before he went to work on eugenics as part of the Master Race plan for The Reich) had in mind

It is amazing, actually, what you can maintain in a breeding program by doing nothing more than by having a decnet understanding of what shouldn't get in there and keeping it out. That also explains why you can't by a decent commodity pork roast in this country anymore. 99.9% of the mothers of the pigs that are  grown and slaughtered are of  breeding and type that were almost extincted 50 years ago because nobody would eat any part of them but the backstrap. Now they are 50% of the product.

hardnox604008
Advisor

I'd been wondering why they didn't try to recruit me.

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

@bruce MN wrote:

Mormon's get the same treatment from the fundi evangelical clergy as Muslims and Jews do. Maybe worse if there are some nearby, as alot of people convert to Mormonism. Not many to Islam or Judaism.

Whenever you see a Morman event or a group of people identified as Mormons I'm always brought to mind of one of those amazingly consistent registered cow herds you run across now and then. Living proof of what can be done by somebody who really has vision and knows what they are doing to achieve genetic implementation, You may or may not like or have a commercial use for those particular cattle, but what has been accomplished is spectacular.

Have you ever  seen a portrait of Brigham Young as a young man? An absolute specimen. You can see Steve Young in him. The Osmond boys. Incurably handsome Mitt Romney. Dimpled child actor Ricky Shroeder. Are you old enough to remember Merlin Olsen of the NFL and Little House on the Prairie?

Had BYU/Morman TV on satellite for a while. Was watching the BYU men's chorus one night and thought to myself that there wasn't a face in there that wouldn't have made the mother of my then 3 young daughters light up if one of them brought one of those boys home.

It had to be traits that they obviously knew enough to keep out. What Goebbels (he was an animal breeder BTW, before he went to work on eugenics as part of the Master Race plan for The Reich) had in mind

It is amazing, actually, what you can maintain in a breeding program by doing nothing more than by having a decnet understanding of what shouldn't get in there and keeping it out. That also explains why you can't by a decent commodity pork roast in this country anymore. 99.9% of the mothers of the pigs that are  grown and slaughtered are of  breeding and type that were almost extincted 50 years ago because nobody would eat any part of them but the backstrap. Now they are 50% of the product.

Accept it, or reject it.... you can't fool the Rule of Genetics.  In any species, it is what makes the improvement or the decline in any geno-type.

I am always telling my kids,  ..... to pick very carefully ..... their choice will boost or destroy their gene line into the future.    I also put in an "incentive" plan for them.... pick wrong and the line of inheritance of the farm's assets will not include them, nor their posterity.

hardnox604008
Advisor

How about outcrossing for heterosis?

Without crossing the very touchy line into eugenics theory, I noted one year that the top Decathaletes at the Olympics were all euro/african F1s.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Yeah, but you can't stop love.

bruce MN
Advisor

I know a handful of men who when they were younger were doing business with some Hutterite colonies in the Dakotas and Canada that were becoming seriously inbred and who were offered substantial compensation and young girls brought to them for servicing as fast as they could take them.

Didn't know of any of them who actually did. I wasn't asked either.