Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

Gabby Giffords support for the second amendment

4 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Gabby Giffords support for the second amendment

Wow, I wonder when that was taken?  I would love to be a mouse in the corner to know what goes on behind the scenes when good folks make that decision to sell their country and constitution out.  Is it they really are stupid? I doubt that.   Or more likely a communist/anti-gun group comes around with a big bag of money.  With Judas, it was 30 pieces of silver, Benedict Arnold had a promise of land, I suppose, Abe Lincoln supposedly threw a man down the stairs when he got "too close to his price".  What was Gifford /Kelly promised to go from one of a handfull of sensible Democrats to selling out the country?

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

BA, for Benedict Arnold, it was the social aspirations of his young, British loyalist wife and inlaws that did him in.

Arnold was an early hero for the Revolution, sometime you need to read about his epic wilderness  journey where he led his men by example, and they ran out of provisions due to another general bolting back to safe territory with the supply train. Arnold and his fellow officers  boiled shoes to get soup they were so starved and didn't  use officer privilege to get the last morsels before anyone else ate. They all starved together and most did come back. I think they were in Canadian territory when this happened and what food they did get, they stole or requisitioned from the Canadians.

I believe that George Washington himself, another real leader, said at the time that Arnold was his most trusted general. The betrayal of Arnold had to have left a lasting scar. I think Arnold lived out his life in England after the war with his wife and inlaws, and died young.

hard to imagine any of the guys that pretend to be leaders in America today following the example of Arnold in that early show of self sacrifice but pretty easy to imagine most of them turning traitor once the fire was put to their feet.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Thanks for the reply, Red it inspired me to read further on Arnold http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Arnold    The quote from Ben Franklin in comparing Arnold to Judas, I found amusing "Judas betrayed one man, Arnold betrayed 3 million".  Human nature is a funny thing it sounds like Arnold was bypassed for promotions by the Continental Army and some of the credit for his accomplishments were stolen by others.  It makes one wonder about "bench warmers" on a basketball team as to how thrilled they really are when their team "goes to state" and they never plated a quarter all season. 

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

the article that I read about Arnold's accomplishments was in a magazine called American Heritage that was full of interesting historical accounts, and was very sympathetic to General Arnold.

I notice that in the account of the wilderness trek, Wikipedia also tells of boiling shoes , and even butchering dogs and eating the entire carcass, entrails and all, and boiling the bones.