cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox
Advisor

Galbreath on NAFTA

and other things.

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/33622-james-k-galbraith-on-the-human-cost-of-inequality-in-the...

"NAFTA was opposed by organized labor interests, but the truth is that it has had very little effect on the loss of American jobs. US companies could move easily to Mexico before NAFTA. What NAFTA did was to open up Mexican agriculture to American corn. The end result was the massive displacement of Mexican agricultural workers, not the loss of American jobs. NAFTA produced Mexican immigrants fleeing to the US in search of jobs."

Thinking on unintended consequences and the fact that the middle east holds 4 or 5 times more people than it can support because of the exchange of oil for our surplus food or in the case of Egypt or Jordan, as political bribery.

3 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Galbreath on NAFTA

Is Galbreath retarded or does he think we`re stupid?  `US corn exported to Mexico displaced Mexican farm workers so they came to the US in search of work`....Give me a break!  What the Mexican farm workers hand weed`d, hand picked corn and shelled it by hand and the US shelled corn that was imported displaced 11 million Mexican workers, so they all came up here in search of work???

I`ve seen with my own two eyes, of factories moved to Mexico and US workers having to take 2 lesser paying jobs and still not get back to square one.

Yes, the damned fool is correct that US factories always could`ve moved to Mexico or overseas...BUT, NAFTA placed a protective bubble over them that there wouldn`t be any tariffs placed on foreign produced goods coming BACK into the US. 

Prior to NAFTA a US company searching for a foreign country with low wages and low environmental regs run the risk of their products being uncompetitive if tariffs were placed on them....which is what SHOULD happen.

hardnox
Advisor

Sugar as much or more than corn as HFCS undercut that industry in the more populous south.

NAFTA=ADM (Bob Dole), and other corporate interests and the Mexican upper class that threw their peasants under the bus (except for fear of kidnapping they're doing just fine)..

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I don't know about HFCS flooding into Mexico, Nox. I specifically buy Mexican Coca-cola because it has "real sugar" one would think if anyone could hook the Mexicans on HFCS it'd be Coca-cola.