cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Getting Out

Of the stock market on November 7th at 26180 on the DOW, looks like it was a great move.

I am ahead 3000 points. I’m looking at starting to buy back in at 22,000 on the DOW. If it works, and the market doesn’t completely tank, I will at least have preserved nearly a hundred grand of my hard earned retirement.

Jen
14 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Getting Out

Good for you and congratulations for timing the market. A serious question though, if you knew all along that "Trump is going to wreck the economy" why in the world didn`t you get out on November 10th, 2016?

Advisor

i'd like to know the answer to that

Honored Advisor

So.........I didn't vote for Hillary.  I helped more people than just myself by doing that.    Smiley Wink

By selling out, there will be capital gains to pay.  Don't forget to subtract that from your totals.      Our country thanks you.

Senior Contributor

I'm losing my nerve for being short- yesterday's drama really got to me. Sometimes winning is harder than losing- if you're wrong you just get stopped out and it is over.

But it just doesn't seem right to go squishy when the market is making new lows and there's no meaningful support in sight.

I think I'll just start buying the futures back on a scale down basis and not make it complicated.

I'm not in a big hurry to put any retirement money back in but I do think the old highs around 2200 in the Dow make sense for a place to put a toe in.

BTW, other than a very nice snag of the first short up around 2920 on the S and P my short term opinions of this market have been ludicrously horrible. It has just been hedgehog strategy- get a first position on, set a stop, sell another at a lower point, reset stops etc.

But I've been clueless on the day to day.

Honored Advisor

The Dow was 18,600 the day after President Trump was elected.  Jen just sits there quietly in the market, bashing Trump on the outside all the while enjoying a 8,000 point Dow appreciation and then she publicly gets out of the market at the top.   Hmmmm   Translation, her broker told her in November of `16 "If you like money don`t get out of the market, tax cuts and regulation cuts is bullish! I know you hate Trump, but if you like money please for the love of God stay in!".   Then freaking Jerome Powell starts raising interest rates like peeing in the party punchbowl, then Jen`s broker/adviser calls "For the love of God, Jen get out of the market! Blame Trump or whatever, just get out of the market it doesn`t like rising interest rates!".    That`s about the story, I hope Jen gives her broker a generous Christmas tip for keeping her emotions out of her investing.  

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

There was no tip from my broker. As a matter of fact, he advised that I stay in. None of his other clients got out either.

My getting out had all to do with seeing Trump’s press conference after the election, and the comments he made showed me a picture of an administration that was refusing to work with the Dems coming in. I have never seen a stock market react positively with a White House in chaos.

Once again BA, you are completely wrong. You’re wrong a lot.....but you refuse to see it.

Tick Tock....BONGx11!!!!!!!!!!!

Jen
Advisor

"that's nice"

You do know the story about how the one wife was bloviating about her new house, her new car, her new RV, her new jewelry, and the other wife just kept saying "that's nice".

Finally the windbag asked the second woman what HER husband had ever done for her. The second woman smiled sweetly and said that he paid for her to go to charm school, and whenever someone was bragging instead of saying "who really gives a bleep", she learned to say....

"that's nice"

Senior Advisor

Trump has done more for you than any president in your life time. He gave you an 8,000 point rise. Cut your tax rates for when you sold, and now has given better interest rates for investing your gains. He's made your retirement.

Honored Advisor

And you`re not answering the question.  You waaaaaarned us prior to Trump getting elected in November of 2016, so why did you stay in for 2 years and enjoy the 8,000 point Dow gain before you cashed in?   What if the Republicans held the senate and house, would you still have cashed out?   If the Dems won the House by 70 majority and 60 Dem senators, would you stil have cashed out?

Jerome Powell and the interest rate raising has everything to do with the Dow dropping to only 5,500 points HIGHER than when Trump was elected.