cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Global warming or cancer, what a dilemma.

Ah c'mon, let him have his light bulb crusade, because he probably is wearing his helmet. Remember, if Obama was for a "personal choice" of light bulbs, he'd be bitchin' that we should worry about conserving energy. No, I take that back, as he's only concerned with himself and petty arguments, just like the other extremists.

He's part of the professional whiners group that also likes their freebies too. Black is white and up is down to those "intellectuals". I couldn't care less if he has 100W bulbs in every light socket because he's the one paying the bill. Well not really, us taxpayers are kickin' in a chunk too.

Senior Advisor

Bart, why is it you believe the science that say man is warming the globe with incandescent light bulbs but you question the science that says mercury fill bulbs will cause cancer? Don't you think they should delay the government mandated switch until the science is settled?

Advisor

At what point or by what standard would "the science be settled"?  When every crackpot is convinced?

Maybe we could shoot for the day when there is a creation museum like they've got in Kentucky in every state.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: The Replacement Is Just Around the Corner

Milly, you deserve credit when credit is due. Yes, LED bulbs are the wave of the future, not the "dreaded" flourescent bulbs. I work at a place that has over 150 track light fixtures and I started doing the math on KWh's used between the 50W incandescent bulbs and the LED equals (yes in lumens) and we will a few hundred dollars per year on power alone. To make it a sweeter deal, the LEDs last up to 35,000 hours whereas the regular bulbs are rated at 860. Believe me, they burn out all the time. Then you have to consider the heat 150 50W bulbs put off in the summer (like an oven!) and how little heat the LEDs put off - no need to run the AC as high and that saves $$ on power bills for cooling. You can severely burn yourself touching the incandescent bulbs, but the LEDs are barely warm. I love them.

Senior Advisor

@bruce MN wrote:

At what point or by what standard would "the science be settled"?  When every crackpot is convinced?

Maybe we could shoot for the day when there is a creation museum like they've got in Kentucky in every state.

I think the best thing to do is let everyone choose what they wish.

Veteran Advisor

The same reason I believe science that tells me the only way to be exposed to the Hg in those bulbs is to break them under your nose.

Veteran Advisor

You know, I just re-read your little post "man is warming the globe with incandescent light bulbs" and you accuse me of "believing" that science.  Are you really that obtuse or do you post things because someone is paying you a piece rate for posting.  WHERE do you come up with light bulbs warming the globe????  That is a scream!  So funny it is STUPID!!!  The only thing about incandescent light bulbs is the extra energy they use!  NOTHING about warming the globe.  You were funnin' with me right??  BTW, tell me how those gases get through the glass to give me cancer!!

Senior Advisor

Then why are they being banned?

Veteran Advisor

Why are WHAT being banned?  Do you mean incandescent bulbs?  I just told you why--they consume much more energy that CFL bulbs thus they consume more fuel to produce that energy, which means more pollution and more cost to the country.  However, any rise in heat from these bulbs is miniscule at best.  That is SOOOOO funny!!  Thanks for the chuckle.  How do the carcinogens get through the glass?

Senior Advisor

Right here Bart, from your link. Nothing in the story proves it doesn't happen, the author simply says it is probably not a problem. Says it need to be back up with more research. Huuuummmmm, isn't that what used to be said about second hand smoke? What's next to be banned because of high energy consumption, why just pick on incandescent light bulbs?

The report indicates that energy saving compact fluorescent lamps released several cancer-causing chemicals such as phenol, naphthalene and styrene in a form of steam as they were switched on. Consequently, the researchers have advised against the use of these lamps in close proximity of the human head and body, for example as a night lamp for reading.

Andreas Kirchner, from the Federation of German Engineers, advocated against the use of the bulbs in unventilated areas or in the proximity of the head, citing the risks posed by a kind of electrical smog that develops around the lighted bulbs.

Read more: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/136769/20110421/energy-environment-efficient-lamps-cfl-bulbs-cancer-...