cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Global warming or cancer, what a dilemma.

Still waiting to learn how any gas can get through glass unless there is some sort of hole in it.  The link I put up also states that at least phenol is used in mouth wash for humans.  Think there is a cancer warning on mouthwash?  I can understand the warning about being careful to not break them where there is a danger of breathing the Hg dust and vapor inside but just not buying the "steam" issue until someone tells me how it gets through the glass.

Senior Contributor

If it can leak those things, then how would a CFL bulb still work???????? I guess it only can leak selective gases then, huh?

Senior Advisor

Bart, all I know is what the article says, the bulbs could be a danger. Glad to see you question settled science though. Might be hope for you yet.

BTW Bart, wouldn't want to have them in a hog building, lots of them don't make it through a power washing.

Senior Contributor

@r3020 wrote:

Bart, all I know is what the article says, the bulbs could be a danger. Glad to see you question settled science though. Might be hope for you yet.

BTW Bart, wouldn't want to have them in a hog building, lots of them don't make it through a power washing.

The old incandesants sure would not survive if the flourecents burn out from washing.

BTW read my link from way back in this thread.

Sunburn possible if '1 inch', that is only 1 or 2.5cm from skin for prolonged periods.

I am going to quit sleeping on the ceiling! 

Veteran Advisor

I wouldn't even have a hog building but can't you keep the sprayer down?  Why would you be spraying the light fixtures? However, the heat from those is probably not enough to cause them to break from the water anyway.  Also, which part is "settled science"?

Senior Contributor

@schnurrbart wrote:

I wouldn't even have a hog building but can't you keep the sprayer down?  Why would you be spraying the light fixtures? However, the heat from those is probably not enough to cause them to break from the water anyway.  Also, which part is "settled science"?

When we washed a pig barn we washed everything, ceiling too, but you have to watch for the lights. Didn't always miss them.

Veteran Advisor

I guess that's one more reason I wouldn't have them.