Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Good advice

10 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Good advice

Let me play devil`s advocate, "stare decisis"  http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/s065.htm which means we screwed up, but it`s too costly to do the right thing, so we will procede with what was decided.

Now, if the American trained Iraqis drop their weapons and quit, then ISIS will gain pocession of things like US Stinger missiles, can you imagine what would happen to an Israeli airliner if Hamas got a hold of a Stinger? 

People smarter than me have said it would make sense to keep a force there to embolden the Iraqis awhile longer, because as soon as they knew the US was bugging out ISIS filled the vacuum.   It does seem after we`ve invested/sqandered $1 Trillion and thousands of lives that we shouldn`t let the whole thing go in the shiit hole.   But as I say, I don`t know, I`m only playing devil`s advocate here.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

When you find yourself in a hole, the best course of action is to quit digging. The USA should have blown up all of the armaments in Iraq, Afghanistan, etal and left and let the people sort things out. Going in was the worst mistake of my lifetime, in foreign policy ( our domestic policies make any foreign policy pale in comparision) and George Obama is the worst tandem of presidents ever. I can sleep at night knowing I did not support either of them, outside of voting for BUsh over that doornob Algore in 2000, thinking he had some of Bush seniors advisors and common sense on board. He didn't. As for Obama, I left something in the Crane this morning with more leadership ability.

Highlighted
Advisor

Yes, that the way I feel about all you kman posts.
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Was this the money quote about Puke???

"It is very frustrating to see that this is the way that we handle debates about foreign policy in this country," she said. "We take people who were so, provably, terribly wrong and bring them back and treat them like experts on the very subject they were wrong about. It is maddening."

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Was this the money quote about Puke???

Ironically he addressed that very matter in his blog yesterday:  And refenced another writer who asked the same thing also:

I would separate those who are honestly wrong from those who take a misleading position (or one they know is wrong) for political purposes. There should be consequences in both cases, those who are honestly wrong again and again should come to be ignored, but those who intend to mislead and deceive should face much higher penalties.

That’s clearly right — but the division between the honestly wrong-headed and the politically motivated is not, I think, as clear-cut as all that. I don’t think there are all that many self-consciously cynical hacks, who privately admit to themselves that what they’re saying is all wrong but do it anyway to serve their masters. Much more common are people who rationalize — who know who they’re working for, but mostly manage to convince themselves that they’re engaged in honest intellectual inquiry that somehow always ends up justifying tax cuts for the rich, benefit cuts for the poor, and freedom to pollute.

You might think that such people would, once in a while, take their self-image of independent thought seriously and break with the party line. And it does happen now and then. But Orwell knew whereof he wrote when he introduced the concept of double-think: many people, including famous economists, are quite capable of being simultaneously cynical and self-righteous.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Pretty good advice, and I do heed it

"There should be consequences in both cases, those who are honestly wrong again and again should come to be ignored......"

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Pretty good advice, and I do heed it

If that is supposed to be an indictment of him that is extraordinarily weird as none of what he has been advising or recommending has been tried or implemented for years. Probably not since seeing modest application in the GHWB administration over 20 years ago
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Was this the money quote about Puke???

That's it! He is quoted as saying (paraphrase) the internet was a flash in the pan.  Plenty of others, bubble advocacy and such.  Kruggy has a big team of like minded shills covering his excuses.

And although I agree with kunstler quite a bit, he cut his teeth on the 2000 panic that never happened.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@Red Steele wrote:

When you find yourself in a hole, the best course of action is to quit digging. The USA should have blown up all of the armaments in Iraq, Afghanistan, etal and left and let the people sort things out. Going in was the worst mistake of my lifetime, in foreign policy ( our domestic policies make any foreign policy pale in comparision) and George Obama is the worst tandem of presidents ever. I can sleep at night knowing I did not support either of them, outside of voting for BUsh over that doornob Algore in 2000, thinking he had some of Bush seniors advisors and common sense on board. He didn't. As for Obama, I left something in the Crane this morning with more leadership ability.

You do realize that the vote in 2000 led to the original illegal invasion of Iraq!