cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

Goodbye, Andrew

The tea people are going to have yet another bad day. Smiley Very Happy

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/treasurys-lew-to-announce-hamilton-to-stay-on-10-bill-222204

harriet20-660x330.jpg

28 Replies
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Re: Goodbye, Andrew

I guess I could have lots of fun drawing a Schnurrbart on the new bills. Smiley Very Happy

I guess that a five will still have Lincoln on it and, maybe someday have Reagan on the ten dollar bill. I'll send that suggestion to President Trump, next year. Smiley Wink 🤑

r3020
Senior Advisor

Don't worry Craig. She was a strong proponent of the second admendment.

harrietrosstubman

May be the design will look like this.

View image on Twitter
NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

The usual racists on the other site are having fun with this and typing in code.

One of them said " Never heard of her until today "

LOL, thank god for inheritances !

UNIranch
Senior Contributor

So am I 3020...whats your point...Smiley Very Happy

Packard27
Senior Contributor

Swapping Andrew Jackson for Harriet Tubman on the $20 dollar bill replaces an American icon with an historical footnote...all in the name of racial political correctness. Everyone should be forewarned; the slave owning George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison are all next up on the "hate America" hit list.

Perhaps it is only unintentional irony on the part of this administration, but Jackson was also the last President of these United States to leave office without a national debt. That's right folks, as in, all US Treasury accounts were paid in full. Then again, maybe this is what is meant by "debasement of the currency?"

hardnox
Advisor

Ol' Possum's balanced budget came about because at that time the gubmint was selling off the vast tracts of land that he had recently stolen from the natives via broken treaties, and the proceeds went into government coffers.

That was hugely contractionary and, along with his personal grudge against a national bank, led to a couple decades of deflationary economic stagnation. And very much set the stage for the liberal Republican revolution in the north. Oops, sometimes smart guys aren't so much, in fact sometimes they end up with a bayonet up their butts (although palnters with "20 Negroes" were exempt from the draft. I digress.

It actually served the interests of the southern planter class because they primarily wanted to be the world's low cost producer of commodites- cotton and tobacco in particular (he was sort of a pioneering neoliberal in that regard) and everybody else be damned (also a bit familiar).

Other than the price of their exports in dollars, they didn't really care about devlopment or low price levels except for the price of slaves. That's because most of them had quite a bit more of their worth wrapped up in human chattel than in land.

A thousand acres of prime delta land wasn't worth diddly with only a white fellah in a waistcoat and a mule to work it.

After the war they did, or course, improvise on that theme by devising a system of serfdom for white and black sharecroppers to do it. And, a whole mythology about their "lost cause."

Which later resulted in the broad popularity of bad popular music and NASCAR. Again I digress.

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

I used to write Indian Killer on my 20 dollar bills. Glad I won't have to any more. Smiley Very Happy

Need I remind you  that Jackson himself would be horrified to be on federal currency. He thought any kind of a national bank was antithetical to states' rights.

hardnox
Advisor

As far as the revenue from recently liberated lands it reminds me a little of back when the neocons were assuring us that the Iraq adventure was going to pay for itself.

They scored a miss on that by a couple $T, so maybe Andy looks OK by comparison.

Probably should have held the auction quite soon after "mission accomplished."

r3020
Senior Advisor

The idea of a gun-toting slave-freeing Republican kicking out the father of the Democratic party is appealing.