cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Goppers say uninsured should be left to die

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/12/tea-party-debate-health-care_n_959354.html

I won't bother to lecture on morality, will let you give it your own consideration.

I am guessing these folks will just continue to wind further down twisted and bizarre ideological dead ends as things play out. Not sure if it is fun to watch or scary, or both, I guess.

Since the other side side loves to point out liberal hypocrisy (so that makes this a double reverse gotcha) I am thinking back to the sordid 2008 campaign and Ms. Palin's "death panel" thingy.

The argumaent ala' the Ryan Medicare plan actually seems to be about who gets to run the death panels.

16 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Goppers say uninsured should be left to die

Well that isn`t exactly Ron Paul`s answer, he said `Churches and charities should step in` and as a Physician, Paul took on pro bono cases, never turning anyone away.  Speaking of risks, when I see extreme sports motorcycle stunts, rock climbing and such, always wonder who picks up the tab when they get hurt.  Insurance won`t touch `em and a hippster 20 something wouldn`t probably have a $1/2 million laying around.  See, `death pannels` are natures way and not necessarily ALWAYS a bad thing, my problem is Obama`s goons making the decision on when to pull the plug.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Bizzaro world if these people come into power

?

But, I admit, I do like fast depreciation and expense in one year for my new iron and machine sheds. Sure helps offset the tax liability from my windfall farm income. I have made more money this year, even after paying $850/t anhydrous and $150 seed corn and $40/bag seed beans, than I ever made in my life. Looks like I will get some $6500 land bought too with all borrowed money.  Never borrowed so much money in my life, and certainly never borrowed it so cheap. Bizzaro times in farming with this crazy windfall income. Guess I love farming in America. One more year with $7.00/bu corn and $13.50/bu soybeans and the all the wheels will come flying off. I may become a repubby and vote Romney

Highlighted

It is probably true to say that whatever is good for you is good and that, heck, aren't going to change anything on the larger degree anyway.

A very mentally healthy way to view things.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Your left wing source disqualifies the argument.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Well, is that not what higher tax advocates are doing? Tax the corps, tax consumption, raise taxes on wealthy, and on and on. You think they have the best interests on this country in mind? NOW that is BIZZARE thinking

Highlighted

I didn't really intend anything back handed about that.

It is probably healthy to just care about yourself and your own interests wholeheartedly. what're you going to do about anything anyway?

But the following disclaimer does apply-

take the guy who has been developing strip malls, putting up Taco Bell shacks, whatever for the last 20 years. The bank loved him and kept increasing his credit line- mostly based on increasing asset values (and low rates, which also propped values). He was a playa, life was good at the country club. His $400K house went up to $600K so he booked $400K in equity and bought the $million estate in 2005.

Today the bank can't roll over a single CRE project. Cash flow is slightly negative and the $million McMansion is worth $600K if he can sell it. The bank is going with him, for now, becasue they don't want to recognize the FMV of his projects if they sold him out.

This isn't his fault- it is da gummints. After all, he is a playa.

Of course it is his fault- he rode a good thing for a while- to a large extent driven by policy issues that he didn't understand or care to. Things change and he was a one way, one trick pony. But it is the gummint's fault- if they didn't create all this uncertainty, regulation, taxation yadayada yada then he wouldn't be in trouble. They're giving all his money to poor lazy people (who interestingly enough are the people who eat at his Taco Bells or go to dance lesons at the academy in his strip mall, but anyway).

But in his mind that is how it will always be. He's a playa, 'cause he was.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Liberals throw out empty promises

Healthcare is a thorny issue, and something that sooner or later affects everyone. There is not enough wealth to fund cadillac care for everyone , and how resources are allocated  is the debate. Do we let free markets allocate care or do we try to have a government allocation?

And nursing home care is a big part of the overall issue. My two grandmothers both spent long periods in nursing homes, after exhausting the ability of family members to care for them at home first. THey exhausted their net worths in the process,  but with help from family members managed to stay off of welfare assistance and never used nursing home trusts or gifts to shelter any assets.

Meanwhile, others used every trick in the book to pass on the nursing home costs of their relatives to the public. "You pay for your folks, and then you pay for mine, too" is what my father called that philosophy.

I know that Texas, in the GW Bush era passed legislation to have adult children responsible for the nursing home care of their parents, but I think the federal government may have struck that measure down. Seems like a good way of handling the needs of the elderly, and a way to make sure kids don't squander the retirement wealth of their parents that can serve as a buffer for the welfare systems having to absorb the cost of providing care for elderly that actually have the means to take care of their own needs.

People rail against minorities abusing welfare, but the statistics show that it is older white people that use up the greatest amount of welfare benefits. We need conservative measures to restore some equity and fairness to an abused system.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Interesting disclaimer

Knox, I've re read your post 3 times and have decided to copy it and re read it some more later in my pick-up I have been considering trading for a new diesel with some cheap Ag Direct finance money. I am not a 'playa', must seem like it, though, to an outside reader. Time will tell. As always, Thanks for the discourse

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

More the Tea Party Express crowd.