cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Got any horses need shod? Head for Detoit.

I`m not blaming the farrier, per se, but rather those responible for watching over the taxpayer`s pocketbook. It`s like anything, a combine for a small farmer for example he may not have enough acres to cover the fixed costs it may be way more cost effective to hire it done.  In the case of public workers, that is one way around the bennefit expense of hiring someone.  In the case of a farrier, I`m sure there are a dozen around Detroit that would take care of those needs. Those independents don`t have "sick days" no "cost of living adjustments" no "retirement" ...You pay `em 60 bucks a horse or whatever and bada-boom-bada-bing, that`s the extent of the citie`s responsibilty. 

Senior Contributor

Don`t tell me we ain`t got no money    --   totally the opposite of what you wanted it to say.  Think about it.   Change the NO to ANY and it reads as you wish.

Senior Contributor

Detriot City has no horses. The position is being held on to by the union. So the answer to how much should he make...nothing the position should have been done away with when the last horse left.

Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:
I didn't ask you that. I only asked you what you figure they should make. Thought you guys were all about people making all they can.

How much should the government pay a man to shoe no horses?

Senior Advisor

Dag  The horse would be more impressed with a pail of oats. Maybe an upgrade to cheerios.

Senior Advisor

I happen to know and acquaintence that did exactly that. It went to the Iowa supreme court. Appaloosa show horses with a mare bred to secretariat.

Veteran Advisor

Did you actually read the link?  He does many other jobs in the plant.  He is actually more of a blacksmith now since there are no horses--welding, maintenance, fabrication, etc.

Veteran Advisor

I read that the department did that, not necessarily the actual farrier.

Also, did you read this, in the link?

The department, which has just under 2,000 employees, has 257 job classifications. The report suggests that can be reduced to 31, with three to five skill levels within each classification.

Moreover, the current staff can be reduced to fewer than 400, the report found, with minimal investments in technology, outsourcing and streamlining.

It almost sounds like they could get by with less than 1/4 the work force they have.

Senior Contributor

Except the union won't let them.

Senior Advisor

DWSD has a blacksmith shop in our Central Services Facility," Edwards said. The shop "also ... repairs equipment and works with various metals and welding for the department when needed." The horseshoer now works at the Central Services Facility.

Is $29K plus benefits too much for a metal worker and fabricator? It's pretty dispicable that you infer that the city was paying wages and benefits to a horse shoer with no horses. I suppose you just forgot to mention that the dude actually does productive work for the city.