cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Got pain?

We got an email yesterday telling us our great nephew broke his arm yesterday playing football. He is 10 or eleven years old. The orthopedic surgeon said the fracture wasn't complete and they would have further break his arm before they could repair it.

The doc told his mother to leave the room because she  wouldn't like to experience his pain. She asked why and the DR. said he will suffer great pain but he wouldn't remember it. I don't know what they used but Carolyn said the used a like material when they reset my dislocated shoulder. She said she went to the other end of the hall but she didn't go far enough.

I have no recollection of the procedure but evidently I was very uncomfortable for a few minutes.

So it sounds like the product puts you to sleep but you feel everything that is going on while it erases all memory of it.   I'm glad I don't remember it.

BTW the nephews mom elected to stay with her son and the trauma was much worse for mom than the boy and SHE remembers it.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Got pain?

Wishing the little guy a speedy recovery.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Don - there a few on here who are getting a little pain in the gut now the end draws nearer.  When the inevitable comes in November, I will hear the pain from here. Imagine what it will be like living next door to these poor sods.

Honored Advisor

Sounds like it was Propofol or `Milk of Amnesia` http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1671492,00.html

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Got 2 kids myself, and I now know what it means when they say it is worse on the parent.

Hope the young fellow, and mom, are doing well.

Highlighted
Advisor

what does that have to do with his nephew getting hurt?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Interesting BA!  Thanks for the link

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Absolutely nothing, but you can't keep some from trying to throw politics or religion into every thread.  Several years back I broke my ankle.  It was during harvest and really didn't have time to go see the doctor.  When harvest was over, I finally went in.  Long story short, they had to rebreak it in order for it to heal correctly.  The second time around hurt a lot worse than the first time primarily because I knew it was coming.  I'm thankful they did as it did heal correctly, and I don't hobble around like I did before.  

This is the crossroades where we're at today politically because most acknowledge we need to have the bone rebroke in order for it to heal correctly, but most don't want to go through the pain of the rebreaking because they know it's coming.  If we continue to follow down the Bush Jr./Obama path, we'll continue to hobble around indefinitely!