cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Government Shut Down?

Looks like all the forces are coming together for a March 4th government shut-down. There may be some here that would welcome that, no questions asked. There are some here that think that would be a bad road to travel. Regardless, the republicans need to remember they are the majority and the ball is in their court. Though some here might say that that is not a problem and that republicans should stand up for huge budget cuts, they might consider that the media will be looking for examples where tax payers are hurt by the furlough of government workers and this will heavily reported. I think the republicans may be falling on their swords if they ask for too much. I think there may be some room for compromise, but republicans need to remember that democrats see a government shut down as a winning proposition for them, so there may be no compromise. I believe it will be the republicans that are seen by the majority of Americans as the "bad guys" if there is a shut down and people can't get the services they want. This could turn on republicans real quick. They had better be careful. I don't want to say anything bad, just report my opinion.

11 Replies
r3020
Senior Contributor

Re: Government Shut Down?

I would view 1.5 trillion deficit as being worse.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

So, stopping the govt and all the services that millions depend on for protection and just plain old survival is better???  Typical repub.  Forget the little guy as long as the fat cats are OK.

r3020
Senior Contributor

Who is OK with a 1.5 trillion dollar deficit?

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I seriously doubt if anyone is but why do repubs always make plans to take the cure from the lower income people and protect the big guys.  Did you read my post about the Arizona gov.?  She is preparing to cut over 260K people from Medicaid and a couple of days ago, she signed off on giving corps in the state a tax cut to the tune of $1.6 BILLION.  Your new House in Congress fought to keep the tax cuts for the richest people in the land or let it expire for all people.  They couldn't stand only letting the middle and low incomes get a break that the upper crust didn't get.  Why is that?  Why do guys always think of no one but yourselves????

r3020
Senior Contributor

Did I miss something? Do the upper income not pay taxes?

4wd
Senior Contributor

a gov shutdown would affect the fat cats too if it went on long enough. But, I am sure they will resolve it before any harm comes to them.

One question-

would not all gov checks stop during a gov shutdown---including military? Who will stand the wall withoug a check?

wehav
Senior Contributor

oh no, the borders won't be secure

If they shut down the government our borders won't be secure.  er never mind.

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

Maybe she believed as Leona Hemsley did about taxes.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Re: oh no, the borders won't be secure

You think that was cute and smart? You aren't very smart are you?