cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomtoolbag
Senior Contributor

Government shutdown and income tax deadline

It just dawned on me that it would be rather ironic if the federal government were to shut down, and how the post office in many areas stays open late on the 15th to mail in tax forms, and if that couldn't happen. How ironic, that the day/deadline where the remaining filers send in money to the federal and state governments, that they couldn't be processed or mailed because the government is closed for business.

Any takers on the probability of at least SOME of the post offices being open to collect that mail???

6 Replies
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Re: Government shutdown and income tax deadline

@tomtoolbag wrote:

It just dawned on me that it would be rather ironic if the federal government were to shut down, and how the post office in many areas stays open late on the 15th to mail in tax forms, and if that couldn't happen. How ironic, that the day/deadline where the remaining filers send in money to the federal and state governments, that they couldn't be processed or mailed because the government is closed for business.

Any takers on the probability of at least SOME of the post offices being open to collect that mail???

I understand that the deadline for filing is going to be on the 18th of April this year.... also, most people file electronically, anymore.... so the (snail) mail is not as big of a factor, nowadays.

tomtoolbag
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I forgot about the electronic filing, but the local news always makes a big deal about the post office being open late and taking mail at the curb and there's always a long line of cars to drop of tax forms. Some laws changed pertaining to tax-preparation companies in regards to refunds/loans, so I wonder how the electronic means has fared because of that.

I guess it's a moot point for some because network servers don't have to come to work.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

I believe I heard on the nightly news that if there is a shut down it will not effect the Postal Service.

Anyone remember if the Postal Service shut down during the 90's government shut down?   I believe technically postal employees are not federal employees.  Maybe Bart will know.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

It is still the UNITED STATES Postal Service.  Yes, they are federal employees.  The only difference is that they no longer are subsidized by the govt.  Only the payment of taxes has a deadline of the 18th is my understanding.  Your form has to get there by the 15th.  At least that is what my accountant told me.  He filed everything electronically but we have to pay in and he supplied a voucher and we send that if with our payment by the 18th.  I thought everyone would have to file electronically this year.  Maybe it is just for those who have someone figure their taxes for them.  Don't know.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Bart, we file our personal taxes electronically but our farming enterprise is incorporated and we have to file that via snail mail.  

I'm curious if you remember if the U.S. Postal Service was closed during the government shut down in the 90's?  I'm thinking we still got our mail during the shut down.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I don't even remember the shut down in the 90s and if it was before December 1, 1996, I was delivering mail and we never shut down.  My farm isn't incorporated but we always filed via mail until this year and I was sent a form to be filled out to file electronically.  I got a pin number and all that stuff and the accountant got permission from me to use my pin to file the returns so I just assumed everyone had to do it this year.  It was filed 2 weeks ago and has been accepted so I am mailing my payment today.  The postal service will not shut down is my understanding.