cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

Government to fat smokers, drop dead.

You will live according to their will or you give up your "right" to benefits that you paid. You will notice that if you fail to live as they think you should live you are considered a sinner in their eyes. They then pass their judgement.

snip-

Faced with the high cost of caring for smokers and overeaters, experts say society must grapple with a blunt question: Instead of trying to penalize them and change their ways, why not just let these health sinners die?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MED_HEALTH_COSTS_REALITY_CHECK?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLA...

48 Replies
ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: they are showing demorat compassion

makes you proud not to be a member of their KLAN

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Government to fat smokers, drop dead.

That is one of the problems, of government sponsored health care.

If you had private insurance, you could balance your desire to smoke, with the higher 'smokers' rates (FWIW, I think they should also be able to take a blood, urine, and hair sample, and test for illegal drugs, as well, and raise their rates accordingly).

With the government insurance, they will treat 'everyone the same' which will mean either every fat smoker gets coverage, or no fat smokers get coverage. 

What if the fat smokers are women?   Don't they have the right to 'do what they want' with their own bodies, without penalty?

Faust100F
Advisor

I don't know about this . . . I do not know any fat smokers!   All the smokers I knew were pretty thin probably being eaten up by Cancer, if they stop, that is when they become fat and then die of a heart attack.   I do not know anyone that smokes anymore, guess because they have predeceased me.

I think if they are fat, smoke, drink, shoot up, sniff coke and burn the candles at both ends we probably should buy them a one way greyhound bus ticket and export them to Canada where they can get the care they need.  Pass the popcorn and get me another Corona, a Camel, Chocolate shake, and some new needles for my syringe.   John   

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

You guys just don't get it and continue to pass along false and misleading info.  Smokers and obese people do cost way more than healthier people.  They can continue to live whatever life style they wish BUT they should also expectto pay more for coverage.  No one is going to give a heavy smoker a new heart or a new set of lungs so some things will be denied them.  That's the way it is now and has been for decades.  The only thing EVERYONE in the Affordable health care is the same is that EVERYONE will be able to get coverage.  

rawhide
Advisor

you forgot to complete the sentence. everyone will be able to get coverage but will not be able to afford it

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Wrong again!

rawhide
Advisor

you said obese smokers SHOULD EXPECT TO PAY MORE. ok so if someone is an obese smoker and makes 300 a week and their health insurance is 1500 a month how pray tell are they going to afford it?

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Snooky1953 wrote:

You guys just don't get it and continue to pass along false and misleading info.  Smokers and obese people do cost way more than healthier people.  They can continue to live whatever life style they wish BUT they should also expectto pay more for coverage.  No one is going to give a heavy smoker a new heart or a new set of lungs so some things will be denied them.  That's the way it is now and has been for decades.  The only thing EVERYONE in the Affordable health care is the same is that EVERYONE will be able to get coverage.  

Homo sexual men who have a much higher incident of contacting and spreading the AIDs virus should pay more also. Why just discriminate against smokers and fat people?

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

It isn't going to be that but on your scenario, let's say he makes $300/wk and his NEW premium with a 10% increase due to unhealthy life style is $500/mo.  What say you then?   Ever been to Sams or Big Lots or Costco?  Ever had group health insurance?  It is cheaper than individual insurance depending on the size of the group.  With millions more people getting insurance in groups, I would imagine the premiums will be substantially decreased.  Don't know if it will really work that but then you don't know that it won't.