cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
verbatime
Senior Contributor

Re: Government to fat smokers, drop dead.

rawhide
Advisor

ok i'll try again. when you were a little kid and you had a nickel in your pocket but candy was 10 cents what did you do?

1) did you ask your mom (the govt.) for another nickel?

2) did you just steal the candy?

3) ride your bike home crying because you couldn"t afford candy?

verbatime
Senior Contributor

I can't remember not working and seldom went to town with my mommy... evidently you and I had very different childhoods.

rawhide
Advisor

no i worked when i was a kid too i was trying to explain to snooky that YOU CAN'T DEPEND ON THE GOVERNMENT TO PROVIDE  ALL OF YOUR NEEDS!

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

You will have to explain to me just wth that has to do with the subject at hand.  I think you are trying to say something about insurance being expensive under the Affordable Care Act but you don't understand the idea.  I already told you how it works.  No, I don't know that it will actually work the way it supposed to but then you don't know that it won't since it hasn't started yet.  However, today, insurance premiums are lower the larger the group is buying that insurance.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

I'm not asking the govt to provide my needs.  I'm trying to tell you how the ACA is supposed to work.  First, if you already have insurance and like it and the premiums, you can elect to keep it.  You just have to have insurance.  If you don't have any, or are not satisfied with what you have, you can go with one of the large group insurance policies that the govt is setting up.  The larger the group, the lower the cost.  The govt is not underwriting all the insurance.  They are offering the the same type of plans that current federal employees have.  There are probably 40-50 PRIVATE insurance companies involved in that.  Whether you do or you don't take it is not my concern.  The fine for not doing it is pretty small so maybe you should just take your chances with your family and not do it.  I really don't care but don't call me an idiot because of it.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Many factors increase that risk not just abortions.  Miscarriages are right up there with abortion along with:

"At present, the factors known to increase a woman’s chance of developing breast cancer include age (a woman’s chances of getting breast cancer increase as she gets older), a family history of breast cancer, an early age at first menstrual period, a late age at menopause, a late age at the time of birth of her first full-term baby, and certain breast conditions. Obesity is also a risk factor for breast cancer inpostmenopausal women."

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/abortion-miscarriage

rawhide
Advisor

so what you want is 100% socialized health care

rawhide
Advisor

lets say you have blue cross. why isn't every blue cross customer in their group? that's where the problem is. then we would have competition between companies and stabilize prices. what you are going to have when the govt. gets involved is if you pay for your own you are going to pay for mine if i decide to pay the penalty and say screw it the govt. will pay for my surgery

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I think you missed my question:

Where do you draw the line, between behavior, and coverage?   With private insurance, they say 'smoke and it'll cost you an extra $XXX a month in premiums".   The original post was about how a certain government controlled insurance didn't work that way, instead it was more on the lines of 'do we cover people who do things that increase health risks?' 
I asked the question, that if you are going to deny coverage for someone who is overweight and smokes, what other behaviors would you consider grounds for denial of that coverage?  Maybe the abortion example was a poor one, as it is to politically charged, so let's scratch that, and start over.

If you are not going to cover overweight smokers, what about NFL players who get cuncussions?  

Race car drivers?

Bear wrestlers?

If coverage is to be denied to 'some', where do you draw the line, as to who is covered, and who isn't? 

Or is it another case of "I don't care, as long as I'm covered'?