cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Re: Government to fat smokers, drop dead.

I understand what you are saying but "group" insurance doesn't work that way.  Groups are made up of people in a like work place or profession not by health issues.  Example:  Local teachers of Unit 3 in Podunk county, KY number 75 people.  The unit offers them insurance and puts out for bids that they have 75 people who will get the insurance to 15 companies and the one who will give the best rate will get those 75 people as new customers with all their ills and pains.  Under current standards, someone with cancer right now would not get coverage for cancer related expenses for a year after they join the company.  Under the NEW plan, the company would not be able to not cover them immediately.  That isn't to say that they might not have to pay a little higher premium but they would have coverage whereas right now they probably would not get coverage.  As for not getting insurance and having to pay the fine, you will also have to pay when you break your leg because you won't have insurance.  If you have to sell your first born to pay the Dr and the hospital, that is what you will do.  UNLESS you can go to the ER and convince them you have no means (nothing to sell or beg, borrow or steal) to pay the bill, YOU will pay. Not me or anyone else.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

How insurance works today is that IF you already have insurance AND after you get that insurance, you start smoking 5 packs a day and the insurance compnay finds out about it, they can cancel you.  They can at the very least charge you more to cover the extra costs of providing coverage for the extra care you are going to need.  I'm sure that under the ACA, the same will be true EXCEPT that they can't cancel you for smoking nor can they deny you for smoking when you apply for the policy.  Insurance companies today already charge more or completely deny high risk people, be it race drivers, soldiers, divers, cancer patients and other people with a history of major illnesses.  The first three and others usually only apply to life insurance.  That is why the govt buys life insurance for the military.  The simple truth is that NO ONE can be denied coverage of some kind with the ACA.  You have a Downs Syndrome child, the cost of insuring that child will be more than a normal child.  Right now, you MIGHT not even be able to get coverage on that child.  Under the ACA, you can get coverage but may pay more for that child but you will get coverage.

rawhide
Advisor

so i am being discriminated for being a single customer and cannot be in a "group". where is jessie jackson when you need him

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I know how insurance works now, but going back to a snippet from the link in the original post:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Faced with the high cost of caring for smokers and overeaters, experts say society must grapple with a blunt question: Instead of trying to penalize them and change their ways, why not just let these health sinners die prematurely from their unhealthy habits?

So, my question, again, is if they are talknig about just 'letting them die', meaning smokers and the obese, at what behavior, should the line be drawn?  

I don't belive they are talking about current health coverage, but rather what to do in the future.  Under the ACA, if you cannot afford health coverage, it will be provided for you.   My understanding, is just how much coverage should pe 'provided' to smokers and overeaters.  If they are going to not cover for issued caused by bad behavior, where should they stop?  Where would they stop?

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Snooky,

Your wasting your breath on these nincompoops. They can't understand, and don't want to understand it!

What's comical, now is I heard on the news, the Guns Over People party are begining to realize how stupid it was for them to reject the ACA, now they can't do anything to make it better! What a bunch of maroons!!

verbatime
Senior Contributor

Sorry!!!

@rawhide wrote:

no i worked when i was a kid too i was trying to explain to snooky that YOU CAN'T DEPEND ON THE GOVERNMENT TO PROVIDE  ALL OF YOUR NEEDS!

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Well, first, who is "THEY".  That sounds like the guy writing the article is just speculating and not someone involved with the ACA.  Secondly, The govt is NOT going to provide the poor with health insurance.  The govtwill provide an allotment andthe poor will go shopping the same as anyone else.  Have you bought life insurance?  Or even health insurance or even, in some states, auto insurance?  Were you ever asked if you smoked or drank?  Depending on how you answered if they asked, meant how your risk was assessed and what your premium would be and what they would pay for should you need it.  Face it, there are lots of predjudices still out there in our world.  Overly fat people and drunks have and always will havemany health issues.  If they can insurance, they pay high premiums.  What this mandate is doing, is trying to lower the cost of health care by eliminating people without insurance which causes increased costs to be passed on the rest of us. It also causes morepeople to get care when they are hurt and sick rather than costing more money by working sick or having many hours off the job due to complications form lack of treatment.  No one is wanting to just let these people die.  Drawing the line usually is "do you smoke?"  "Yes", "your premium will be..." which will be more than a non-smoker.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Yep, life's a biitch----unless you sign up for the ACA.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Are you just being obstinate or are you really stupid?

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Snooky1953 wrote:

Well, first, who is "THEY".  That sounds like the guy writing the article is just speculating and not someone involved with the ACA.  Secondly, The govt is NOT going to provide the poor with health insurance.  The govtwill provide an allotment andthe poor will go shopping the same as anyone else.  Have you bought life insurance?  Or even health insurance or even, in some states, auto insurance?  Were you ever asked if you smoked or drank?  Depending on how you answered if they asked, meant how your risk was assessed and what your premium would be and what they would pay for should you need it.  Face it, there are lots of predjudices still out there in our world.  Overly fat people and drunks have and always will havemany health issues.  If they can insurance, they pay high premiums.  What this mandate is doing, is trying to lower the cost of health care by eliminating people without insurance which causes increased costs to be passed on the rest of us. It also causes morepeople to get care when they are hurt and sick rather than costing more money by working sick or having many hours off the job due to complications form lack of treatment.  No one is wanting to just let these people die.  Drawing the line usually is "do you smoke?"  "Yes", "your premium will be..." which will be more than a non-smoker.

You also said Obama would not take our guns. Won't be long until fat people are treated like second class citizens just like smokers. Obama care in not about the economy, affordable health care or coverage, it is about the power to control people so they live as the elite wish them to live. If the elite can take away your guns, lock you up because they don't like your you tube video, they can take away your health care.