cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: Graph of recent deficits

So if we tax warren Buffet 100% it will not balance the budget. You logic says that we shouldn't tax him 3% more. And If mitt Romney is paying 13%, he shouldn't be taxed 16% even though working stiffs pay 15% on FICA taxes alone.

Sorry charlie, your dog just won't hunt.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

If Romney is in the 35% bracket, and only paying 13%, what will raising his taxes to 39% do, make him pay 15%?

Why not cut some (or all) of the crazy credits and deductions, that let rich people with teams of lawyers not pay anywhere near what their income bracket says they should pay?

Getting Romney to pay closer to the bracket for his income, instead of 13%, will do more good than simply raising the rates a few percent, and still let him use the accounting magic, that lets him pay less than half.  I would think dropping tax credits and deductions that the rich seem to get, but no one else, would be much more politically doable, than just raising rates.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

No, I`d be in favor of repealing the Bush tax cuts for everyone ...it won`t do any good in the scheme of things, 1 year later the budget still wouldn`t be balanced, but at least "poor" people would have skin in the game and perhaps appreciate where the money comes from and where it goes.  Right now only half the people actually pay federal income tax, so of course it`s easy as falling off a log for the half that don`t pay to say "soak the rich!!!"  Maybe if the family of 4 that makes $30,000/yr, actually had to pay for this goverment, they`d watch more carefully where the money goes.  The Democrats have tapped into the non-paying base and through class warfare may win Obama a sencond term.  All the chips are off the table when you have a majority of the country that has figured a way to steal right out of the backpocket of the other half of the country. You Don are in the half of the country that has something in his backpocket....Think about it!  That reminds me of Ole was told to put a potato in his pocket to impress the ladies, when it didn`t work, they said "Ole you were supposed to put the potato in your front pocket" Smiley Very Happy 

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

3% more is soaking the rich? You do know that the rich prospered during the clinton era with the higher tax rate? Or do you?

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Why don't you want to admit to anything?  Doing away with the tax cuts would not get rid of the money that is already owed and in the debt.  However, giving the lower and middle class a break might actually help and making the richer folks pay a little more would help also.  NO ONE IS SAYING (but you and a few other fools and obstructionists) THAT THIS IN ANY WAY WOULD CORRECT THE PROBLEM!!  But it would help.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I would do both with an executive order because it would never pass because most of the repubs have sold their souls to grover norquist!

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I may be nieve, but I think that a sensible closing of loopholes, without raising tax rates, would be something that any level headed person should go along with, even if they pledged not to raise tax rates.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Maybe this will clear up your question about why nothing has been done under this administration. The Republicans have put politics before country, that to me, is more than reason enough to kick them all out.

http://crooksandliars.com/jon-perr/republicans-unprecedented-obstructionism-by-numbers

BA, it is a well know fact, that there is $21 trillion, and as high as $32 trillion in off-shore accounts, the taxes on that would go a long way to reducing the defict, your statement about taxing the middle class more, is shameful.