cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Taylor

Can you express why you are against background checks to buy a gun? Many employers require checks before they will hire someone. Some require drug tests in addition. Should the employer be considered not fit to run a business? Actually, I am sure there are some background checks for security clearances, even for a President or Vice President.

You seem a tad bit emotional.....

Taylor ECIL
Senior Contributor

Re: Taylor

We already have background checks to buy firearms. The only thing he wants to change is me selling a pistol to a friend, or FTF. Why is that a problem? Read GCA 1968. What I believe is we need more teeth in the current laws we have. Look at the difference between possesion of an illegal gun in Chicago and one in NYC. That is why there are less gun violence in NYC than Chicago. Plaxico got 2 years when he shot himself. Chicago...he would have gotten very little time.

Taylor ECIL
Senior Contributor

BTW where do you think most of the gun crime comes from? Legally bought guns? Retired lieutenant officer on WLS radio today said that 80% of gun homicides in Chicago were from stolen weapons, how are you going to background check that? I agree with having to report all lost or stolen guns, but I always thought that you had to do that anyway.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Gun Control Update

@KNAPPer wrote:

D-4-Life- That's a brilliant de-rail comment and only goes to show you have nothing to say about the issue at hand.

Why were the kids there? The coward has to hide behind the kids to abort the second amendment..

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

No one is required to report any theft of anything...that I am aware of. Makes sense to do it.

Did you read the Exec. actions? Which ones do you object to?

Get to the point. You don't want your guns to be registered because you are afraid someone will come and take them away. Or am I wrong? You don't want sales to friends or at gun shows to be traceable for the same reason. Or am I wrong? You don't want criminals to have traceable firearms either - just make it as easy as pie on them too so you won't have to worry about your stuff.

Say I sell a gun originally registered to me to you, no questions asked, and you don't have to register it. Years (or days) pass and all you remember is that I live in Podunk Arkansas. You have a break in and the gun is stole and later involved in a crime and recovered with a suspect. The law comes to me (because it is registered to me) asking questions and all I can say is that I sold it to some guy named Taylor, maybe he was from Iowa, I'm not sure. Could be some other state. That's the end of the trace.

Say instead that I sold it to you through a gun dealer (probably for a small fee) and the registration has your name and mine associated with it. The police discover the firearm (which you were forced to register) recovered in the crime was stole from you and you live in Freedom, Iowa. Well, it turns out the suspect, John T. America, has a father in Freedom, Iowa and previous arrest records in Freedom as well. That makes the case a lot easier to crack. Connections can be made. The law ain't stupid.

Registration creates records that can be checked and makes solving crimes easier. Sure, there are criminals that escape the records, but every time we eliminate a zero knowledge situation creates the possibility of the arrest of one more criminal. The exec actions for the most part chip away at this.

It is up to Congress to do any more, or less.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

What in the 23 exec actions and request to congress to take action aborts the second amendment? And what about these children's first amendment rights?

r3020
Senior Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

What in the 23 exec actions and request to congress to take action aborts the second amendment? And what about these children's first amendment rights?

So we are to make Constitutional decisions on the thoughts of 8 year olds?

Taylor ECIL
Senior Contributor

Form 4473 for an ffl is not turned into the batfe until the ffl has retired or died from business. So the traceability argument is moot. Nics background checks is all that they want to do. You didn't read GCA 1968 did you? NICS background check is all that going through an ffl is going to do. So I want to give my son my 3 rifles and 2 pistols in a couple of years so he can have MY weapons passed on to him. One of those is my fathers. I have to go to an FFL to have him run a background check on my son to check to see if he has any felonies. Not a problem not upset about that. Now do you think that Mr. FFL will do this out of the kindness of his heart? Probably not they usually have transfer fees ranging from $15 -on up. My FFL charges $25 to transfer 5x$25 is $125 x2 mine and my sons $250 to give my son my guns and it won't change a dang thing. Because as I stated before most criminals won't register a stolen gun, but you'll feel safer til the next Sandy Hook.

man of steel
Senior Contributor

@KNAPPer wrote:

No one is required to report any theft of anything...that I am aware of. Makes sense to do it.

Did you read the Exec. actions? Which ones do you object to?

Get to the point. You don't want your guns to be registered because you are afraid someone will come and take them away. Or am I wrong? You don't want sales to friends or at gun shows to be traceable for the same reason. Or am I wrong? You don't want criminals to have traceable firearms either - just make it as easy as pie on them too so you won't have to worry about your stuff.

Say I sell a gun originally registered to me to you, no questions asked, and you don't have to register it. Years (or days) pass and all you remember is that I live in Podunk Arkansas. You have a break in and the gun is stole and later involved in a crime and recovered with a suspect. The law comes to me (because it is registered to me) asking questions and all I can say is that I sold it to some guy named Taylor, maybe he was from Iowa, I'm not sure. Could be some other state. That's the end of the trace.

At that point both you and Taylor broke the law.

Say instead that I sold it to you through a gun dealer (probably for a small fee) and the registration has your name and mine associated with it. The police discover the firearm (which you were forced to register) recovered in the crime was stole from you and you live in Freedom, Iowa. Well, it turns out the suspect, John T. America, has a father in Freedom, Iowa and previous arrest records in Freedom as well. That makes the case a lot easier to crack. Connections can be made. The law ain't stupid.

Registration creates records that can be checked and makes solving crimes easier. Sure, there are criminals that escape the records, but every time we eliminate a zero knowledge situation creates the possibility of the arrest of one more criminal. The exec actions for the most part chip away at this.

It is up to Congress to do any more, or less.

man of steel
Senior Contributor

r3020 wroteSmiley Frustratedo we are to make Constitutional decisions on the thoughts of 8 year olds?

Might be better than the thoughts of the libs