cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Gun confiscation letter from NY

New York City Sends Gun Confiscation Notice for Rifles, Shotguns

I found it surprising that a bolt-action .22LR rifle would be on the 'confiscation' list.   I can half-see the reasoning for the AR-22, as it has that scary assault-rifle look, but I actually HAVE a bolt-action Marlin .22LR, and it looks more like a big pellet gun, than anything else.

9 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Gun confiscation letter from NY

Good reason to make your weapons that are not known to the nazis, and kept hidden until needed.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Well, my thought it that if the gun control is to 'keep the streets safer', I wonder why they are banning a bolt-action .22LR, as I really have my doubts as there is an epidemic of shootings from them.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Control the people....nothing more than that.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@Husker-J wrote:

Well, my thought it that if the gun control is to 'keep the streets safer', I wonder why they are banning a bolt-action .22LR, as I really have my doubts as there is an epidemic of shootings from them.

Because it is not about safety, it is about people control. Never believe a word they tell you. If you like your insurane you can keep your insurance. Period. Same goes for guns.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

None of these rifles actually "hold" more than 5 rds. They all have detachable magazines. The guy (if he is handy) could modify the mags to only hold 4 rounds with one in the chamber and he is legal. There might even be someone who is manufacturing mags that only hold 4 rounds. Ask craig, he surely knows how or knows someone who does know how to madify things. That would be like saying that one of my rifles holds 81 rds because there is a mag available from an aftermarket outfit that holds 80 rds and with one in the chamber you get 81. However, I only have a 10 rd mag. BTW, they are all legal in AZ.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Read the fine print within the letter.   You can't just have 4 round clips, the gun must be permanently modified, so it could no longer accept a larger clip.   You'd have to weld the clip in place, or something.

Anyway, that doesn't answer my question, of why the ban on bolt action .22s? 
How many people get killed because of them?   I'm willing to bet less that get killed by ladders or even 5 gallon buckets.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

The ban has to do with the mags ultimately. They (NY police) know there is NO 4 rd mags made. BTW, the form says "ammunition feeding device". If it was me, since none of those guns are worth much of anything, I would sell or give to some one outside the city. I know that doesn't address that you feel this is the first step in taking all guns from everyone but in reality, taking illegal guns has gone on for decades.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Keep reading:  It says the Firearm must be permanently modified to no longer accept the bigger magazine, rather than just posess mags of a certain size.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I rad that and I would guess that the police know no one would pay a gunsmith a few hundred dollars to modify a $100 gun! Not even sure it could be done since the mags are all the same dimension except for length.