cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Gun saves woman and family

This is why we have the second amendment. This women didn't have to just take it. This gave her a chance against her attacker. Now her and her family are safe. Progressives want to deny her that choice.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timothymeads/2019/06/09/woman-shoots-home-invader-armed-with-hammer-n2...

7 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Gun saves woman and family

It is not the reason there is a second amendment. It was included in the constitution as a means of protecting the country in times of conflict like the civil war for instance. At the time this type of situation was never considered. 

When another nut goes berko and kills  a heap of children, will you justify the gun as protecting himself or the murderer exercising the second amendment right? No, of course not.  Just deathly silence. 

I hope you didn’t spend your weekend trawling through media just to justify your weapons because of me. I bring your attention to the very last sentence in the story.  

Senior Advisor

This is exactly why we have the second amendment. Self protection. Be it a tyrannical government or a predator. If you disarm the innocent you will not make society safer.

Veteran Advisor

The gun debate is older than our Republic itself, and it will continue far beyond the thoughtful ability of any one of us to consider.  Nothing stops an individual from banning guns from their own private ownership, yet the right of any individual to remove that right from another peaceful citizen is quite a different matter.

"On every occasion [of Constitutional interpretation] let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying [to force] what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, [instead let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, 12 June 1823

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

Senior Contributor

@r3020 wrote:

This is exactly why we have the second amendment. Self protection. Be it a tyrannical government or a predator. If you disarm the innocent you will not make society safer.

The circumstances under which the second amendment was included was not relevant to the situation now.  Your justification is absurd. As for suppressing a tyrannical government, I can you recall the republicans ensuring us all that obama was a dictator and a Muslim. Not one weapon was raised to stop him.  Not one.  So that’s also a pathetic justification. 

Trump has now supplied you with valid reasons to deal with his fascist style of dictatorship but instead, I see nothing but shrines to him. In fact, one minister from a church said he was installed by god, no less. So much for the big democracy.  

As for keeping it a safer country, as I said before, it certainly hasn’t  made those 150 massacre victims any safer, if that is what you call safer.  I think you should revisit your justifications. Cheers. 

Senior Contributor

When these nuts go off the deep end they need to be publicly tortured, humiliated and exicuted. Then the next one will think twice...

Senior Contributor

@aljessen61 wrote:

When these nuts go off the deep end they need to be publicly tortured, humiliated and exicuted. Then the next one will think twice...

I’m not sure that is the remedy. I’d be surprised if it made them think because to this point the gun has given them a false sense of security and thinking is consequently redundant.  It’s happening amongst the general owners. 

Senior Advisor

Thought you were for choice. First thing all fascist government do is disarm the people. Then they force the people to worship government and persecute them if they dare to worship God.