Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Amen! nt

Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Guns don't shoot people

Bill - you should know better than to mention guns on here.  There are some real nutters on here who sniff gunpowder of a morning

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@BA Deere wrote:

Hey Canuck, I found in a number of places that the rate of sexual assault in Canada is OVER TWICE the rate of the United States.  The suicide rate in Canada is slightly HIGHER than the United States.  Here`s a National Post story from David Frum quoting states that Canada`s crime rate is 50% higher than the US as of 2006. http://www.aei.org/article/23633

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Canada   Wiki says that murder rates of the US is 5 per 100,000  vs Canada`s 2 per 100,000   With 70% US murders done with firearm  vs 30% Canadian murder done with firearm...a couple notes on that, if a drug dealer murders another drug dealer, that should not count. I own more guns than I can count and none of `em ever killed anyone much less even pointed at someone. So, to be fair folks like me own guns=safe.  Drug dealers own guns=Unsafe! That plus The United States has nearly 10 times more people than Canada, yet a woman is OVER twice as likely to be raped up there and suicide is slightly more likely to happen in Canada.  With those facts no Canadian should have the right to wag his boney finger at us ..US.

That is what I was talking about.

More guns = more killings.

BTW if you do not think we have drug dealers too then you do not know Canada.

Take off our drug killings and we would lower our murder rate too just like you would lower yours.

And we did not even touch on this fact

Wiki says that murder rates of the US is 5 per 100,000  vs Canada`s 2 per 100,000

Is that because you have a more violent society? Why would it be more violent?

Because you have more guns? Because people think they have to have a gun? Why?

Questions, questions, questions.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Don't forget to keep a good supply of cleaning materials and reloading components.  Gotta keep those things clean and there is never TOO many bullets.  Ask milligan if you need help on acquiring the necessary items to prevent the oppressive gubbermint from walking all over your Constitutional rights!!

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Why would that be? The lack of firearms or more willing women participants in the US. Perhaps even republican women suffering from inaction. Their husbands loving their guns instead of them.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@kraft-t wrote:

Why would that be? The lack of firearms or more willing women participants in the US. Perhaps even republican women suffering from inaction. Their husbands loving their guns instead of them.

Don, rape is one of those crimes that it is hard to get true stats on.

If a woman is raped in some countries she would not dare let anyone know because she would be punished, even murdered in some cases.

In other countries it is considered a very bad, severe crime and the perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest AND the person that was raped is given sympathy and assistance to deal with the trauma.

Now which country will the highest reported rapes be in? 

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Whooooooooooooah back there big fella.  Nothing like a bit of testosterone to make the gunpowder bang a bit louder. "shoot the **bleep** of a flea and 500 metres -------"  Really?     Are you a gun nut or what?

Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

No, It was a joke. I get scared everytime I see a gun.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

FWIW, I know of three people killed by guns in my area.  Two were suicides, one was shot by an illegal alien.  I wonder how those statistics were counted?  I think the biggest reason that Canada would have lower murder rates is because they don't have the illegal problems we have.  I don't know where I read the stats, but over 1/3 of all murders are by illegals, and over 1/3 of all murders are by people who are repeat violent offenders.  I'm sure there is some overlap, but consider how many less murders there would be if we could get rid of those two groups.  I don't know about the repeat offenders, but I do know that Canada does not have anywhere near the problem with violent illegals crossing the border like we do. 

In addition to the thee people mentioned before, I also know of at leas 4 killings by stabbing, two people who were intentionally run over, and a strangulation, and probably over a dozen suicides by reasons other than guns. 

Really, I don't know what the big fear is of a law-abiding citizen owning a gun is.  You can argue that the average citizen doesn't NEED a gun, but if you want to go that route, you probably don't NEED to own more than 1000 acres of land, you don't NEED a new car more often than every 10 years, you don't NEED as big of a house as you are currently living in, etc, etc.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Look Canuck, the difference between 2 per 100,000 and 5 per 100,000 murders is a rounding error, yes I`ll say it again a rounding error.  At any rate you Canucks have no right to be high fiving each other about a rounding error.  The US and Canada`s murder rates have BOTH came down from the 70`s when they were both in the 10 per 100,000 rate.  Can we both be sensible and say that it`s moving down in the right direction?  After the riot at that Canadian football Smiley Happy game the other day don`t be giving me this crap about how civilized you all are, the one finger you have pointing at the US, there are three pointing right back at ya my friend.   It`s simple in the extreme Canuck, drugs in the US are illegal, yet we are plagued with them.  If drugs can`t be controlled, how in the name of Charles Darwin could weapons be kept out of the bad guys hands?  I noticed you wisely chose to not address the topic of Canada`s sexual assault problem.