cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Guns don't shoot people

"Dwayne's bad chemicals made him take a loaded thirty-eight caliber revolver from under his pillow and stick it in his mouth. This was a tool whose only purpose was to make holes in human beings."
Kurt Vonnegut (Breakfast of Champions)

Pretty well true of cheap handguns.
Veteran Contributor

Kraft-t I read your posts ont his page all the time and that has to be the dumbest comment I have every read. Guns are one of the founding bricks of this country. If farmers, bankers, blacksmiths ect. didn't have firearms we would still be ruled by a different Country. Yes they are used for killing. No darting around that. But, if you are a firearm collector it is a major investment. I personally know a man that has 600 + guns in his collection dating back to the Civil War.  Appraised at 1 million dollars. This is one of his forms of investments. Just like buying life insurance. The only difference is he won't claim his life insurance as fast as someone that can't defend himself from an intruder- attacker. You need to avoid comments you have no knowledge of. It seems like you have to throw a comment in on everything. Thats the beauty of America. FREEDOM to comment on whatever you want and FREEDOM that was won buy men who tote guns.

I have no " bleeping" envy. But I do have a gun. 

"Can knock the wing off a flea at 500 yards"

Senior Advisor

Had to use a gun to shoot a down steer the other day. Guess I could have used a hammer but the gun seemed more humane. The dang coons have been in the barn digging in the cattle feed, think I might give them some humane treated too if they don't get out of there pretty soon.

Senior Advisor

That is alright. You do have the right to be wrong.  One can applaud that specific man that accumulated hundreds or thousands of firearms worth millions.  But i'll bet there is far more fellows that buy guns they can't afford and never make a dime on them.

I do beleive that some folks thing a bunch of firearms makes them a manly man. They argue abd fight for gun ownershio with every possible flimsy excuse they can dream of. Nobody needs a private arsenal. They might want one but they don't need one.

But I will retain my 22 automatic and my Remington 12 guage because you never know when we will be invaded or have to over throw our government

Senior Contributor

@BA Deere wrote:

Citizens need firearms for the exact reasons that the police and military do.  If someone breaks into your house, do want to call 911, assume the fetal position and weep in the 30 minutes to 1 hour that it takes the donut dusters to give you your entitlement of saving your sorry butt....OR would you rather pull out your Glock and have some fun?  Armed citizens are the last defense to keep a country safe from foreign invasion.  You`ve wondered before on here why hitler didn`t invade Switzerland? Well, the Krauts didn`t want they asses shot off, every Swiss home had a machine gun. 

We have discussed this before BA and I think we should look up the stats on how many 'armed civilians' have been killed with their own guns.

Not so sure every swiss household had a machine gun but if the Germans thought capturing Switzerland was in their interest they would have done it in a moment. 

Every tried to stand off a tank or armed plane with a machine gun or rifle?

Senior Contributor

@farmandfire wrote:

Kraft-t I read your posts ont his page all the time and that has to be the dumbest comment I have every read. Guns are one of the founding bricks of this country. If farmers, bankers, blacksmiths ect. didn't have firearms we would still be ruled by a different Country. Yes they are used for killing. No darting around that. But, if you are a firearm collector it is a major investment. I personally know a man that has 600 + guns in his collection dating back to the Civil War.  Appraised at 1 million dollars. This is one of his forms of investments. Just like buying life insurance. The only difference is he won't claim his life insurance as fast as someone that can't defend himself from an intruder- attacker. You need to avoid comments you have no knowledge of. It seems like you have to throw a comment in on everything. Thats the beauty of America. FREEDOM to comment on whatever you want and FREEDOM that was won buy men who tote guns.

I have no " bleeping" envy. But I do have a gun. 

"Can knock the wing off a flea at 500 yards"

I truly think it is a faulty idea that a gun is going to protect you and your family from someone wanting to do you harm.

If your gun is easily accessible then the intruder has a good chance of getting to it as quick as you.

I know of an example where an aquaintance was wakened in the night by an intruder who had his own gun by that time. Intruder was not armed before.

He, his wife and one child spent several hours at the command of the intruder.

Fortunately the intruder dosed off and they were able to overpower him.

The gun was a hindrance, not a help. 

Honored Advisor

Yes Canuck, we have discussed this before and you have been wrong. See, included in your `armed citizen` stats are crack addicts high on dope that shoot themselves or a child, at any rate they aren`t the hero armed citizen that puts a .308 slug into his wife`s wouldbe rappist.  Here is a interview with John Lot who has written a book called `More Guns Less Crime` he is a reformed liberal, he was doing research on a book and realized fact don`t jive with liberalism.  Now the facts Mr Lot gives can easily be shown accurate with other sources ...disprove them if you can.  Good Luck.

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/493636.html

And by the way, no nation is truly conquered until the ground war is won..ask the Generals over there in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Senior Contributor

@BA Deere wrote:

Yes Canuck, we have discussed this before and you have been wrong. See, included in your `armed citizen` stats are crack addicts high on dope that shoot themselves or a child, at any rate they aren`t the hero armed citizen that puts a .308 slug into his wife`s wouldbe rappist.  Here is a interview with John Lot who has written a book called `More Guns Less Crime` he is a reformed liberal, he was doing research on a book and realized fact don`t jive with liberalism.  Now the facts Mr Lot gives can easily be shown accurate with other sources ...disprove them if you can.  Good Luck.

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/493636.html

And by the way, no nation is truly conquered until the ground war is won..ask the Generals over there in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So check the stats on murder in Canada by guns compared to murder by guns in the USA.

Check the number per capita.

Check the % of murders by gun as compared to other methods.

Check the number of guns in the USA per capita compared the number in Canada.

Will look it up for you another time if you need.

Now I am going to bed. Just finished replanting 20 Ha of soys.

First time I have ever replanted a crop and this is the 46th crop I have planted for myself.

Danged 25mm rain in half hour with strong wind just after planting the first time did them in.

Veteran Advisor

Guns don't kill people.  Crazy people WITH guns kill people!

Honored Advisor

Hey Canuck, I found in a number of places that the rate of sexual assault in Canada is OVER TWICE the rate of the United States.  The suicide rate in Canada is slightly HIGHER than the United States.  Here`s a National Post story from David Frum quoting states that Canada`s crime rate is 50% higher than the US as of 2006. http://www.aei.org/article/23633

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Canada   Wiki says that murder rates of the US is 5 per 100,000  vs Canada`s 2 per 100,000   With 70% US murders done with firearm  vs 30% Canadian murder done with firearm...a couple notes on that, if a drug dealer murders another drug dealer, that should not count. I own more guns than I can count and none of `em ever killed anyone much less even pointed at someone. So, to be fair folks like me own guns=safe.  Drug dealers own guns=Unsafe! That plus The United States has nearly 10 times more people than Canada, yet a woman is OVER twice as likely to be raped up there and suicide is slightly more likely to happen in Canada.  With those facts no Canadian should have the right to wag his boney finger at us ..US.