cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gunz are a tough one for the GOP

You get a tenfer instead of twenty and it worked.

You get one guy who gets turned down, or slowed down, before he does a mass shooting then it worked.

You get a Good Guy with a Gun who only has a 10 round clip and gets outgunned by somebody with an illegal 75 in a drum I guess it didn't. 

I'll take my chances on those odds.

People are notoriously poor at recognizing the odds that a particular threat poses to them and that applies to the odds of getting killed in a mass shooting. But people are also starting to recognize those as a form of terrorism against our society, which it is.

Sometimes it is RW in nature such as in El Paso or the synagogue shootings, sometimes unclear. TX appeared to be an extreme domestic case,  LV just a really weird dude. All were greatly exacerbated by military grade weaponry.

BTW, people are also pretty cowardly regarding those things that really aren't likely to impact them and I'd include people who live in relatively safe places but are armed to the teeth.

Anyway, back to my point. The tide of opinion has turned a bit on this and the GOP is in a tough spot as its base is more militant than ever on the subject but the fringes are wavering.

Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Ponification without the slightest insight.

Short of door to door confiscation you'll do nothing.  Do that and you will lose it all.

Honored Advisor

Here`s the problem with "doing something" .  Like I quizzed Tricky Ricky on the market page, that if a Remington 12ga is used in a shooting then will there will be a call to ban shotguns?  He answered "I have a Remington 12gauge and it`d be better at killing than a AK-47"...okay, I didn`t ask that .  You know sometimes I feel like Alex Trebek talking to idiots on Jeopardy.   There sure seems to be a rash of liberal trolls on the market page lately. 

But anyway, "doing something" will quickly result in gun confiscation all the way down to bird hunting shotguns and deer hunting bolt action rifles.  Libs used to want to ban handguns, that was the big bug up their butts, however they kind of gave that up and are flanking the 2nd Amendment by going after the scary looking guns with a banana clip.  But they`ll be after handguns soon too.

Veteran Contributor

well ba

You ever wonder why they don't aak why so many of the shooters have been on ssris.   Wouldn't get that truck sold.

Honored Advisor

Re: well ba

Yes Sam, prior to the Columbine shooting there really wasn`t any big splash shootings, you`d have to go back to the Texas clock tower shooter in the 60`s and I think he used a M-1 with probably 5 round magazines.  There were guns that could kill a lot of people in the wrong hands, the National Rifle Association was in existence back then.  

No one wants to address the problem of pharmaceuticals and the destructive nature of a certain percentage of young people that were raised...no it can`t be the fault of some of us as parents or drugs from companies that rasie the price of insulin 10 times...naw, it has to be the fault of "inanimate objects".

If the Dems get their wet dream, "assault" rifles banned, mags over 5 rounds outlawed , gun "buy backs", tougher background checks for guns you won`t be able to buy anyway....all that damned crap.  And in 2 weeks there`ll be another shooting because the same population of sick individuals haven`t been healed.  Well, what will be next on the list?  .270 bolt action deer rifles, Mossberg pump shotguns, lever action 30-30s?  All are weapons capable of mass shootings.

Some how I doubt Liberals will be satisfied saying "Well, the shooter killed a dozen people with the shotgun but it would`ve been much worse if he had a AR-15"   No, you don`t know Liberals, they`ll want to "do something". 

Senior Advisor

I have a terrible feeling the GOP is about to join them and sell us out. Every body says we have to do something. I just hope Trump has guts enough to veto.

Honored Advisor

Hey 3020, these are very transitional times we`re living in, you look at how "Americans" opinion has devolved on drugs, homosexuals, free healthcare, ect.  A WWII vet passes away and 4 AOC clones reach voting age to take his place...said before but a vet has to at least be thinking "what good did it do to defeat the crazy little man with a mustache, after 80 years we`ve come full circle anyway". 

In 10 years...or 5, we could see a 60 Minutes or 20/20 special "What Happened to American`s Love Affair with the Gun?" .  The segment will start with clips of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood movies and then show how America was once the oasis of gun culture now has stricter gun laws than Singapore..and it all happened at break neck speed".   Just too damned many AOCs got in the country, were hatched here and are now of voting age and run for and win political office.   

Senior Contributor

A crazy person bent on it will get it done.  One in Japan a few weeks ago used fire,  Trucks are pretty readily available, bombs and knives, not that difficult.   I dread the day someone decides to use a propane truck.

Without answering the question of why is this happening now, just do something will be as effective as the war on drugs.

Frequent Contributor

Looks like that is settled- LaPierre gave Dennison the word, and the word was good.

I'm 100% certain this is a political loser for the GOP in the present atmosphere.

Honored Advisor

You ain`t gonna answer me this anymore than RG will answer if Mexicans should be deported...but I`ll put you in "checkmate" or a "box canyon" or whatever metaphor you`d prefer.   Okay, what could Trump or Republicans do that would`ve stopped those last 2 shootings? ...Right, nothing, passing a ban on assault rifles and magazines and waiting periods and all that stuff, would not have stopped the next shooter.  The next shooter already has his gun and magazine and ammunition and in two or whatever weeks, the next shooter will go into a McDonalds or wherever and shoot the place up.

There is nothing short of locking the entire population in prison that will stop the "next shooter".

But let`s say Trump did a little do-hickey thing like background checks and ban high cap magazines...and let`s say by coincidence there wasn`t a mass shooting in the next 2 years, would Trump get the credit?  Would a suburban woman say "You know, Trump signed some gun control and we haven`t had a shooting since...I`m gonna vote for him now!"   a yeah, not gonna happen.