cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

There needs to be a message...

...for that to be germaine.

From what I've been reading and hearing from those who saw it it didn't try to paint the characters as heroes or provide cover for their real life counterparts.

Did a search and found that this school boy wrote this for a website that has recieved no comments on the article. Seriously wondering how or why the usually ratherheavy Rockewell site picked it up.

If there had been some "there" there john I wouldn't have reacted this way. Scores of thoughtful writers and commentators have weighed in on the crisis from all over the world. This drivel added nothing.

Advisor

Don...you saw it

Anything to say on the piece by the Limey school boy that john linked up?

Advisor

where is your message? You're grasping for straws

That's the best you can do?  You have yet to address the content of his essay. 

You are still attacking the messenger.   You call him a schoolboy that's number 5 again-- 5. Sidetrack opponents with name calling and ridicule.  This is also known as the primary 'attack the messenger'  ploy, though other methods qualify as variants of that approach. Associate opponents with unpopular titles such as 'kooks', 'right-wing', 'liberal', 'left-wing', 'terrorists', 'conspiracy buffs',  'radicals', 'militia', 'racists', 'religious fanatics',  'sexual deviates', and so forth.

It is also number 2--2. Become incredulous and indignant.  Avoid discussing key issues and instead focus  on side issues.

Your hear say evidence and your "search" is nothing but number 22.  

22. Manufacture a new truth. Create your own expert(s), group(s), author(s), leader(s)

There are no comments? Where is the comment section?  This is you best argument?

Senior Contributor

Re: HBO’s 'Too Big to Fail' – A Reality Check

"Criminals in DC, pontification" wow.  There is not any more to say.

Advisor

Most just can't grasp that the government and its agents caused the problem. It's interest in solving the problem was only in keeping the status quo. The story of this depression will end up being so much pop culture garbage just like the story of the last.
Advisor

Wow, Palin equal Hitler. What brilliant original insight.
Senior Advisor

Re: Don...you saw it

I couldn't get the link to open and I am hardly qualified to debate with John. He is well read and probably understands it far better than I.

It's hard to seperate opinion and what I got from the show.

It appears that we had a group of greed inspired financial wizard that were harvesting a gold mine by defrauding investors, The money was made by bundling home mortgages laced with good mrtgages and bad and marketing them to unsuspecting investors.

They must have thought it was anever ending formula that would produce high margin indefinately. What they didnt foresee was the collapse of home values and gullible investors.

Not all banks were on the brink but the fed did not want to identify which banks were in the most trouble. They did not want a run on the weak banks or deposits directed to the health basnks at the expense of the weak ones.

Thus they made the top 10 banks in the country take tarp money whether they wanted it or not. Supposedly, that removed the stigma from those in the most distress.

I think that tarp was a necessity because the financial system would have been locked up putting a huge strain on all borrowing. Possibly a shutdown of the whole economy. AS it was they gave them the tarp money without strings attached and these bankers used the money to their advantage not to stimulate lending as was hoped.

The tarp effort may have stopped the financial collapse but did not provide the intended results. I suspect many banks knew they were engaged in risky business but the profits were so seductive.

The main things I got from the movie was how inept those financial wizards are and the fed bolstered those ten largest banks and what was the result was ten even larger banks all of which are too big to fail.

It would be easy to think that the banks should not have been bailed out, but I don't think anyone would have liked the results.

In the end there doesn't seem to be simplistic solutions to complex problems.

Advisor

Thanks don. All things that many knew already and this was simply a dramatization of that from all that I've read and  heard. I have it on our list at Netflix. Hope to see it soon.

What the student that wrote the screed that Jophn liked wanted was for the movie to be a strident call for the heads of the various corrupt and incompetent players. As do I, as shoud you and as does john. Only thing is  that if that would have been the script it would have been filled with B-actors, never shown on a major cable network and would wind up being one fo those VHS tapes you can by for 5 bucks from teh John Birch Society or The Lyndon LaRouch people  at the county fair. Or in some Christian book nook ,along with the Jenkins-LeHaye "Left Behind:" series and the Turner Diaries.

So instead it appears that they set out to portray the individuals and the circumstances for viewers to see. And to become more curious about if so moved and to develop their own opinoins. no where else have I seen it written that the production set out to vindicate anybody. HBO original productions is where the bar is set for dramatic TV. They simply wouldn't do what the kid says they did.

Senior Advisor

Yes, I saw it as an honest production of the people involved and what they did. I didn''t recognize anyone getting any kudos for their action or mfor the results.

I do believe they did about as good as they could of given the circumstances.

Don't forget that it was the financial sector and the US government that had their credit rating on display. I doubt that government would have been able to sell paper had they allowed the banks or AIG fail. Too much international business on the brink.

Advisor

I thought the article was a good point to start a discussion, Bruce is just having a hysterical moment.   I have followed this rip-off from back as the late eighties when it was being hatched under the cover of "Deregulation", which amounted to removing laws which had been created to prevent crime.

At the time many sober people wrote and spoke about what would happen if these laws were removed, it doesn't require much intelligence to recognized the presence of dishonesty in the human genome.   That's the way it is, if people can get away with it they will.   There is no doubt in my mind this was a feeding frenzy among the banksters and some of their customers, construction and development, for example, all with a consciously their criminal intent.   Don't do anything crooked unless it is legal.

It is fraud thief and embezzlement needs to end. criminal .  

There is no better vehicle for disinformation and distraction from the whole truth than these kinds of productions and who has the big bucks to finance the circus?  

But one may wish indulging in Alice-in-wonderland thinking and not see problems you feel you cannot do anything about, OK, there are others who are trying.