cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Ha, that dumb sh*t, DeSantis should have read Florida law before ...

.. he tried to make a culture war example of Disney. 

Florida state statutes read,

The statement, first reported by WESH 2, quotes the statute which says, in part, that the “State of Florida pledges...it will not limit or alter the rights of the District...until all such bonds together with interest thereon...are fully met and discharged.”

But wait it gets worse, in response to criticism that Disney can get out of paying taxes DeSantis says,

“Some people are trying to say somehow that they would get a tax break out of not having their special district,’’ he said Monday at a news conference. “Trust me. Under no circumstances will Disney not pay its fair share of taxes.” He added that Disney will also be required to pay all outstanding bonds, but he didn’t explain how it will happen."

But, it turns out that Disney does, in fact, have several ways to offload the assets of Reedy Creek and thereby, avoid all those taxes by loading them on the respective counties. Not only that, DeSantis has given Disney a whole year in which to do just that.

So, it turns out the real casualties in his culture war will be Florida taxpayers.

20 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Ha, that dumb sh*t, DeSantis should have read Florida law before ...

Oh. So in other words the move was good for Disney.

Edmund55
Senior Contributor

Re: Woke Disney

Apparently the woke disney board of directors, or someone, told the woke disney CEO to shut his dang pie-hole cause he's been as quiet as a church mouse since DeSantis put the hammer down on woke disney.

bruce MN
Advisor

Edmund55
Senior Contributor

(Or…….there isn’t all that much to talk about.)

😄  Yep, not when the board of directors tells you to shut the he!I up.

If someone would have told the woke disney CEO that there isn't much to talk about before he bowed to pressure and opened his pie-hold about a bill that doesn't mention the word gay, aka as a lie; and he's kept his woke pie-hole shut on this issue since.

According to hypocrats on ag-forum, it seems woke disney should be cheering the move.....so not sure why woke disney is threatening to sue?

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Or maybe Woke Disney doesn't have say anything.

All the Florida papers are hammering DeSantis about his dumb a** stunt 24/7 as it is.  Woke Disney has done nothing wrong, he has all the law on his side, and if Dumb a** DeSantis makes a move, Woke Disney can just lower the boom. 

At some point, if he hasn't already, DeSantis opens himself up to a charge of abuse of power and makes himself subject to impeachment or criminal prosecution.

bruce MN
Advisor

Is there something other than “Disney board of directors” that I should run through the search engines to find out something about whatever the fiddly it is that you might be talking about? I’m coming up dry.

I searched for something that Red had obviously made up the other day and the only thing it directed me to was his post at Ag Forum. Was actually sorta neat to see right up first hand how those things work. Maybe I should have snipped a couple of words or phrases out of your little fantasy here.

bruce MN
Advisor

Re: Or maybe Woke Disney doesn't have say anything.

Probably not as the Legislative majority is as cracked as he is and they just updated their Gerrymandering efforts to assure that it’s that way for ten years.

Edmund55
Senior Contributor

(Is there something other than “Disney board of directors” that I should run through the search engines to find out something about whatever the fiddly it is that you might be talking about? I’m coming up dry.)

Well, as I stated, I don't know who told him to shut his woke pie-hole I said he did shut his woke pie-hole - and wisely so I might add.

Just my point, the woke disney CEO shut his woke pie-hole after he caved to the woke pressure to make his dopey statement.

[Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Officer Bob Chapek reversed an earlier decision and said the company is now publicly opposed to Florida legislation that would ban discussion of sexual orientation and with younger children in schools, specifically that classroom instruction “on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age appropriate.”]

Hope this helps there bruce.