cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Illegal immigration

Not sure I can add much. There is a flurry of stuff about illegal immigrants and those seeking asylum every so often in the news here.

We do not have a border like yours with Mexico since we are surrounded by water and ice mostly and there is only a small number who want to cross from your country into ours illegally, mostly for our "free" health care (those who have an illegal health care card and cross over to get care here on our taxes but live and work in your country).

We do have illegal residents many who have been ordered deported and 'disappeared' but probably not the same proportion as you have.

The bad thing about those who propose tightening your border to stop the illegals is it makes it harder for you 'legal' citizens to leave. Trips to visit Canada are down since the border has been 'tightened' in the last few years and it is not all because of our higher $$.

Senior Contributor

Europe and cheap foreign labor

We had an English pasture pig farmer visit our operation over the winter.  He raises about 100 pigs per week and markets about fifty of those a week himself.  He, and his processor, use eastern Europeans for laborers and its completely legal.  It seems that English people don't want to do farm or processing plant work.  Who would have thunk it?

Veteran Advisor

Re: Europe and cheap foreign labor, not illegals

That would be legal since, I believe, labour can move around the EU countries/states much the same as labour can move between your states.

If you want to see foreign labour visit Bermuda. Lots there but legal, as they only get the job if proven no Bermudian available to do it.

Senior Contributor

Re: Europe and cheap foreign labor, not illegals

And I am sure Bermuda pays a living wage. Here in the US we don't pay the illegals a living wage.

Veteran Advisor

Re: living wage

In Bermuda a living wage would be a lot higher than in the US. Not a cheap place to live. BUt of course their foreign workers are not illegal, they come with government permits for a limited time period.

Lots working in the hotels although there are a lot of locals employed in the hotels too.

Lots of high paid people work in their banking industry from other countries, from USA too.

BTW it is a nice place to visit

http://www.bermudatourism.com/index.aspx

http://www.bermuda.com/

Senior Contributor

Re: Illegal immigration

Canuck, are you saying your government does go after known illegals and have them deported or do they order them out but then tend to look the other way and not follow through on the deportation like here in the U.S.?

We are starting to see several countries now who's citizens seem to think they are to good to do any manual labor.  I first remember hearing about this about 10 years ago on a 60 Minutes piece about a small oil rich Arab country (I believe it was the United Arab Emirates) that now had thousands of immigrants doing all their house and yard work as well as most of the blue collar jobs in the country.  What happens when most of our farming, slaughtering and other critical food supply jobs are being done by immigrants and they decide one day to organize and go out on strike and demand better wages and benefits?  Do the big players then push the government to deport all the Hispanic immigrants and then start bringing in immigrants looking for a fresh start from some other part of the world?  Do they go back to African labor sources like a couple hundred years ago or perhaps tap into the growing populations in China or India?  It still boggles my mind how many folks I hear saying that we should allow the immigrants to come into our country in unregulated numbers as they poor folks that are just trying to better their lives of their families yet they stay quiet about how most of these immigrants are taken advantage of by people like DeCoster or the Postville, Iowa slaughter house.

Veteran Advisor

Re: Illegal immigration, dagwud

The way it seems to work is someone is 'ordered deported' and since they have done nothing wrong in Canada except over stay their visa, they are given so much time to leave.

The problem then is the authorities do not always follow up to make sure they do leave and some times when they do try following up they are unable to find them. Canada is a big place.