cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
6 Replies
johnaa
Advisor

Re: Hedges on education

Thanks Bruce, it lead me to the knowledge he wrote a book with Joe Sacco and this speech by Hedges which is will worth the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJYMe3lR_eI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVlk8Vyoplg

Samnospam
Advisor

I've tried to get people here to read john Taylor gatto's book, it tells you why the system is as hedges describes it. You must not be allowed to though cause he is not perceived as being on your team. One of your fellow posters said gatto should not be read because he was a rightwing nut.
r3020
Senior Advisor

I don't know much about Chris Hedges but from your link and John's videos it looks to me like he thinks government needs to control the people, not the other way around.

Samnospam
Advisor

I think hedges is like many people in that he views economic freedom and civil liberties as completely different unrelated things.  

bruce MN
Advisor

You've mentioned Gatto often.  I've not read the book but have read a synopsis or two and feel as though I'm familiar with his thesis if not all of the specifics and, yes, much of it the same in principle as Hedges.  It's a damned mess, with extreme, but even more so extremely rigid conflicting views tugging at it constantly and too many of our young people get tangled up in and often even strangled by the rope.  Maybe one more of those matters or topics where genuinely conservative libertarians and actual pre-1990s sourced (small p) progressives are closer on an issue than the conventional wisdom would expect.

I'm quite certain that I responded to one of your earlier references to Gatto and his work and we discussed it at some time in the past.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

As long as those who support the power and wealthy feel they will be able to become part of that structure........... they will remain loyal to it........

............but when they realize they have no chance to be part of that power they will turn to the side of justice.....

........only when that happens does a critical mass of consent among the opposed becomes the power of change............

Comment by Jacopman to the third episode