cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Friend

Help me please. I don't understand it means.

Good Aftertoon

You guys could tell me the difference between hedging and topping in English? Thanks, I do not speak very good English and I'm reading a technical document.

Regards.

8 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Help me please. I don't understand it means.

Hi Diana,

Probably better to direct to the Marketing Forum, found on the index. This is the place where we mostly just argue over politics and such.

But anyway, the two terms aren't very synonymous at all.

Hedging is the practice of making offsetting sales in either futures or contracts with buyers against cash ownership either currently stored or future anticipated production.  Basically offsetting a long with a short position, or vice versa.

Topping, I guess, is a vernacular, generic term that might be used subjectively to describe a market that is thought to be near a highest price.

I probably didn't make that clear, at all.

May I ask, what is your native language?

Regards,

hardnox

Highlighted
Friend

Thanks for answering Hardnox!

Well, I think I didn't do well my question. The text I'm reading has a different context. One of the quotes is this: One aspect of higher density plantings is that they require hedging and topping to maintain good light interception.  Also this: Hedging and topping citrus in high-density plantings. 

I don't understand the difference.

Of course, my native language is Spanish; I'm sorry for all my typing mistakes.

Thanks again.

Regards

D.

Highlighted
Advisor

That is funny. Sorry.

Mostly grain and livestock farmers here, probably won't find a lot of citrus answers.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

First, I don't grow citrus, but I found this explanation: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/citrus/pruning/L2308.htm

Read below and at the link, but I take it that hedging is pruning the trees between the rows of trees and topping is literally pruning the top of the tree. Apparently this is done to get the best production from the trees.

Hedging and topping of citrus orchards are used to control tree size sufficiently to facilitate normal orchard operations, especially pest management, to facilitate harvesting and to maintain optimum productivity. As orchards mature, the tree canopies fill in the space between adjacent trees, grow ever taller and begin to spread into the row middles--and yields continue to increase annually. Ultimately, when the space between adjacent trees is filled and the canopies of adjacent rows are about 7 to 8 feet apart across the middle, the trees have reached the maximum size allowable--and they have also attained optimum production (note that optimum production is not the same as maximum production!). It is at this point when hedging and topping operations should be implemented--waiting even "just one more year" should not even be contemplated.

Topping should be conducted as soon as hedging is completed, as there is no valid reason to leave the tops unpruned. Some growers prefer to hedge and top the entire orchard at one time, others opt to do alternate middles over 2 years. If hedging cuts will not exceed about 1 foot into the canopy, cutting the entire orchard at one time is viable. However, if pruning has been delayed to the point that deeper cuts into larger wood are necessary, pruning alternate middles would be the better option. Hedging into 1-inch wood will significantly reduce production in the following season, some of which may be offset by increased production in the unpruned middle.

Senior Contributor

Poor old knox went to great lengths to explain the minute gambling involvment of the stock market and all she wanted was some advice on trees.  Some of us a far too well educated.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

My understanding is that 'hedging' is pruning (cutting back some of the brances) from the sides of the tree, so it doesn't grow too wide.

Topping, is pruning off the tops of the trees, or (cutting back some of the branches that are growing vertically, often the main trunk).

Basically, if I understand it right, proper pruning can maximize fruit yield, as the tree willl actually bear more fruit, if it uses less of its energy for growing branches.

Highlighted
Advisor

No, but certainly a captive of the paradigm.

Highlighted
Friend

I got it. Thank you very much Harnox, Husker-J and KNAPPer for helping me; You are all very kind. And sorry, I didn't know that this forum section had a different goal.

Regards,

D.