cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Here is an article you people on the right need to read

Found this article on Google, and couldn't believe what I was reading, and that every farmer, and especially Farm Bureau members really need to take the time to read and study it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/01/how-republicans-lost-the-farm/283349/

"If the Republican Party moves to a place where it no longer mirrors the viewpoints of any segment of rural America, there will be a switch."

5 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Here is an article you people on the right need to read

Well, the Farm Bureau is a grass roots organization and they are effective, we write emails and visit politicians and lean on them and dangle the covetted "Friend of Agriculture" designation in front of them.  But that said, what`s good for "agriculture" isn`t always good for the farmer.  But I notice they are very selective about what emails they ask us to write and when we go visit politicans we are reminded that while it`s okay to disagree, but keep quiet about it, we need to "speak with one voice"...well, they`re the one`s footing the plane tickets and hotel, so i get their point, they don`t want anyone "going rogue".

But on immigration and trade policies (TPP) that`s something they don`t ask our local advice on...they keep us busy with Ethanol, Atrazine, WOTUS lawsuits and such. 

But farming has gotten industrialized and that is what`s wrong with it.  We have gotten too big that parity prices no longer work...the Bigshots would just bid away higher grain prices in their land rent...dog chasing his tail. 

I got a small farm that my Dad bought in `62 it had a nice house, big hay barn, horse barn and huge chicken house that Dad farrowed sows in for yrs.  But it`s 60 acres, Dad paid $24,000 back in `62 and the ol` boy he bought it from raised chickens and was a prominent member of the community, he put 4 daughters through college on raising chickens on 60 acres.   Those days are gone.

northnd
Senior Contributor

They may be gone now, but I would not say they are gone forever. When the SHTF there may be a lot of those places again.
GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Sorry, northnd, they are gone. They will never return, if they do it will be because America has finally fallen back in to a 4th world country.

The real point to my post, was how you Tea Party folks stiffed yourselves, voting for those fruit-cakes! You were teased and cojoled into believing you weren't Patriotic if you didn't follow them. Now you've been set up to vote for people from the neo-nazi, white surpremists, Russian loving camp! Farmers have proven for years to be the most gullible share of the electorate, and voting for the Alt-right candidate, completes the circle.

northnd
Senior Contributor

First of all I fell for nothing. Second, gullibility goes both ways left-right. I laugh at the two sides pontificating their mantra. It's the same, just two different sides of the same coin. Third, there is a explosion in small niche farms organic, gmo free, free range, you name it. More likely large corporate and small niche with middle acreage falling out via competition with the bto's.
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

image.png

image.jpeg