cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Here's a "police state" story you guys somehow missed.....

Probably because you never listen to public radio's NPR.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011/08/31/140090116/why-gibson-guitar-was-raided-by-the-justice-...

It's too bad that Gibson does not know what they are being charged with and has no way to address the charges. I think this is a big mistake. The factory shut down cost them millions. There are many details, but it is an example of a good idea (the iban on the mport of endangered species of trees) gone bad.Gibson claims they are innocent. I sympathize with them.

Eat that you NPR haters.

14 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Here's a "police state" story you guys somehow missed.....

I never missed it, saw it on Drudge.

Senior Contributor

Yet you remained silent.....LOL...not every story deserves attention but I have seen some here that deserve less attention, yet get more. I guess it all has to do with our individual interests.  I found it interesting that the law is so vague that even importers of antique instruments are worrying if they might become subject to the law and suffer even though the wood cut to make these instrumemts is very old and not at all related to logging today. This story does illustrate that we need some common sense to law.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Knapp, the difference between this story and Sam's is this one has no jail time involved. This is like when the government tried to clamp down hard on putting in tile claiming it was draining a wetland. This is why I want to reduce the size of government, seems there are just tooooo many people setting around coming up with dumb ideas that make life miserable for the rest of us.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

There is no assurance that jail time will not be involved for someone at Gibson. There are no legal charges yet, just a claim of violation and no real charges. There could be legal charges and jail time involved and if you understood the story, you would see it is possible.

Size of government is one thing. Power is another. Law  is yet another matter. You need to consider that reducing the size of government may simply concentrate power in the hands of a few. The real approach needs to be commmon sense and meeting needs rather than wants. Congress makes law. If you want less people making law, you will have to ask for less congressmen. Regulations are not necessairily law, but are legally enforced, but in this example, we are indeed talking about a law created by Congress.

This goes against the general conservative theory of simplicity, one solution fits all, and single-minded ideas, so it is complicated. It requires exactness rather than a shotgun approach. The law needs to be refined and made to work where it should work and not apply where it shold not apply. If Gibson sought wood where it shold not have acquired it legally, they may be guilty and someone will go to jail. If as they claim, they did not get rosewood from Madagascar or Ebony from Brazil, then they have broken no law. They deserve to understand the charges and have their day in court, but this has not happened yet and Gibson is held in limbo because of ill-defined law and poor government.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

There are a lot of regulations, which is the same as law, being made by government officials that are not members of congress. Congress gave them power they had no right to give. Time we the people demand the powers be taken away.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Nope!  Didn't miss it. WSJ had it on the 26th. Screw your NPR.

Glad you are finally on board with this oppressive gov thingy. Welcome

Highlighted
Advisor

Read that story last week. I don't post even 10% of the police state stories I read here.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

...and BTW. This is a liberal enviro law. Your side

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I love intellegent comments, especially when someone actually makes one. Did you miss your coffee this morning?