cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Hey Gough.

Been reading a lot about the Australian debate of implementation of a carbon tax. Is it going to happen?

5 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Hey Gough.

Firstly, I do not know.  The PM is desperately selling it as fast as posible.  The greens are asking for many more conditions. One of the independents who holds the balance of power said today unless the rest of the world get keen, he will be doing nothing.  The lack of his vote will sink the whole thing in the house so there is some work to be done on him.  The big mining companies are waiting to see exactly what the price will be.  They managed to stop a grossly unfair tax about 12 months ago which was pure stealing.  The gov back out and they have settled down but this is the same thing but from another angle so we will see.

The figure which has been tossed around is $10 per ton, at this stage. This will ratchet up the average household electricity by $800 dollars per year.  For me another $1000 per year.  So you can see I need something like that like a hole in the head.

The PM is a nothing PM.  She is all spin and no substance.  She has a minority government and thinks it will last until the next election, 2 years away.  2 Independents hold the balance of power and both are looking sideways at this silly carbon tax.  If she takes it to the house, it will get defeated first up but she will then be aware of what she is up against. 

Thee is now an advertising campaign powering on all over the TV, paid for by the government of course, trying to sell the stupid thing.   If it is that good for us, we should be lining up to buy it but that is never going to happen.  She is committing political suicide and the stupid woman can't see.   Hope that makes it a bit clearer. Thanks for asking.  

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Your attitude confuses me.  Aren't you a global warming believer?  Wouldn't you be willing to save the world and humanity for that paltry sum?

We've been told that alternative sources will be our salvation and as more people use less energy because it costs so much there will be less pollution.  Or perhaps if energy costs more then other sources that aren't cheap enough now will be used and as that happens ways will be found to make them less expensive. 

No doubt by 2100 things will be great.  We are just in a transition period and people will have to sacrifice for the future.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Mate - it is coincidental how my attitude confuses you when at the same time believers atgtitude towards global warming confuses me.  This world wide warm inner glow the do gooders are getting by alerting everyone to their beliefs is going no where.  Al Gore tried to make something of his life by jumping on the hot air bandwagon but fell flat. You and everybody else need to watch a BBC production called "The great Global Warming Swindle". If you watch it with an open mind youi will leave it admitting the whole things is a hoax, nothing else.  Global warming and cooling has been going on for millions of years and dare I say it, was produced by your god.  Everyone appears to navel gaze and blame themselves but has anyone ever had a look at the sun and the heat and fusion it produces?  That my friend, is the source of global worming, not your car.

But getting back to fuel usage, the US need to have serious look at their usage.  You guys contribute massively to world wide demand for oil when you only have 5 per cent of the world population. You use 25 per cent of the world's oil.  That is not to say the rest of the world is not addicted to oil. The problem is no one is prepared to cut their usage because of traditional ways we do things.  Look at all the diesel tractors and trucks that cannot survive with out it.  No fuel would cripple the US in days.  It is that addictive.  So, I believe this alternative fuels thing is a fallacy and until their is not one drop of oil left on the earth, all will suck it up like there is an ocean of it.  As for saving the world for the paltry sum, as you say,  no a chance.  There is a whole industry around this global warming **bleep** and while ever our taxes employ them, they will find the right stuff.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Gough, you are very adapt at pointing out all of America's political wrongs and failures which gives the impression that Australia most be a utopian world with a perfect government.  However I recently read how your government gives large amounts of tax payer dollars to religious organizations such as Anglicare Sydney ($55 million in 2010) and Catholic Education Commission of New South Wales ($1.8 billion in 2009) that deny gays social services and even employment opportunities.  What gives?  I thought it was our country that was being run by right-wing religious wackos? 

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

It gives me pleasure to reply to that.

Basically, the US, like Australia, has some problems.  In these times, no country is utopia. I assume you are refering to the Oil post I wrote yesterday.  What I have said is the truth i.e. 25 percent of the oil in the world is used by 5 percent of the population, the US. That is something you all should know and remember it when you all scream about the price of gas.  The US is basically the reason Gas goes up and down, not Australia.

The government has for decades given money to religious organisations.  I find it disgusting frankly.  Let the godbotherers find their own income.  But, when you look at all the other parasites who take money from the government, they are entitled also.  One of the reasons for such hefty contributions to the Catholics in NSW is the governments here for some time have been dominated by the Catholics.  They lobby hard and the ministers responsible like to take out a little insurance in getting to heaven and shore up the catholic vote in the election.  It is that simple. As for the poofters, they can ---k themselves to death, for all I care.  

Make no mistake.  You do not have a mortgage on whackos over there.

Just another.  Australia is a nothing on the world stage.  We do not even grow enough wheat to feed half the chooks in China and that is fact.   Fox sent a delegation to cover the royal wedding headed by Shep Smith.  When our Prime Minister waltzed in he bought attention to her ridiculous headwear by likening it to a fly trap.  That was appropriate.  She continued further down the church into the anner sanctom of such occassions, followed by the same cameras.  When she entered the shot again Shep said "who is this woman with the fly trap on her head" .  That is how small and irrelevent Australia is.  He didn't even know who she was.